Unwritten: Playwrights with potential

Credit: Jonathan Kim (Flickr Creative Commons)

Mike Flaherty, Business Manager

Tens by Teens is a series of plays written, directed and performed by LT students themselves. This production isn’t merely a way for students to highlight their playwriting skills, it is also a way for students to express themselves through the art of theater.

“Writing the plays for Tens is probably my strongest form of self-expression, because it’s as if I can take a little section of my brain, show it to people and say, ‘this is me’,” Director Annika Murrell ‘15 said.

Murrell has been involved in Tens by Teens since her sophomore year and continues to play a vital role in the success of this production.

There are many different roles that LT students can participate in to be a part of Tens by Teens such as: acting in the plays, writing the scripts or even directing the plays themselves.  Dan Devine ‘15 has taken on all three of these tasks in the upcoming April 29 weekend production.

“Being able to observe the dynamic between the writer and the actor collaborate to reach a specific topic and seeing how your actors and directors interpret your work tickles my heart,” said Devine.

All students are allowed to submit their work, but the majority of the plays are written in the playwriting class offered at LT.

“It’s really touching when so many people come to witness this performance you’ve been working on for two plus months, and they really show so much respect by responding to all the plays,” said Murrell.