LT Student Teaching

Juliana Halpin, Reporter

On average, LT students will see around three student teachers roaming the halls of North and South Campuses each semester according to LT’s director of human resources, Ed Piotrowski.

Each year LT is contacted by various colleges and universities looking to place students enrolled in student teaching programs at local schools, Piotrowski said.  Piotrowski then contacts division chairs of specified subjects like math, English, and social studies to see if there is availability.  Division chairs then talk to teachers asking who, if any, would be willing to take on a student teacher.  Upon looking at scheduling, along with other factors, student teachers are then assigned to an LT teacher.  LT ties to avoid paring student teachers with new teachers to the LT district and teachers who commute between campuses, Piotrowski said.  Once Piotrowski receives word from the division chairs on their decision, he then contacts the school.  After receiving the position, student teachers are assessed and evaluated by their corporative LT teacher and the head of their school’s student teaching program.

“I think students are often excited about student teachers,” said English Teacher Ryan Darah.  “[Student teachers] are often younger and students can better relate to them.”

Darah has been a teacher for 17 years and is currently working with his third student teacher, Jim McCoyne in the Language Arts department.  After being contacted by Langage Arts department chair Karen Raino and reviewing McCoyne’s resume, Darah committed to having a student teacher for the semester.

While working with student teachers, cooperating teachers take a step back and pass responsibilities to their student teacher, Darah said.  Student teachers are also observed and given feedback by their cooperating teachers and college professor throughout their time student teaching.

“I’ve been lucky to have a cooperating teacher who has given me lots of freedom in the classroom,” student teacher McCoyne said.  “Even so, I still have to submit every lesson plan I teach to him in advance.”

After student teaching, student teachers must pass the edTPA to receive their teaching license.  The edTPA is a new assessment given in Illinois that is split into three tasks requiring student teachers to submit a week worth of lesson plans, video of themselves teaching, copies of student work with written feedback, as well as written commentary, McCoyne said.

“I enjoy having a student teacher,” Avery Herdon ‘17 said.  “[McCoyne’s] passion for teaching is shown through his preparation and work he puts into the class.”