Students work at Shedd Aquarium

Heidi Hauch, Business Manager

Three upperclassmen have decided to explore the field of marine biology by participating in a teen work-study program at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. Most weekends, Maggie Bruck ‘16, Lindsey Volz ’16 and Sarah Klusendorf ’17 commute to the Shedd Aquarium to work with the guests and animals at the world-renowned facility.

“I wanted to do something in my own backyard during the school year,” Bruck said. “The Shedd is an amazing aquarium and I think its really going to help me in the future going into marine biology.”

Two categories of work are available to student workers, the Young Naturalist position and the Shedd Ambassador position. Volz and Bruck are both Shedd Ambassadors. Their duties include welcoming guests and providing assistance in any number of things from building navigation to animal touch experiences, Lee Peters, Shedd Engagement Specialist, said.

Klusendorf is a Young Naturalist. She works in interpretation, so she spends most of her day on the floor in exhibits. She makes personal connections with the guests and helps them to develop an understanding about individual animals, how animals and their ecosystems are connected and how the guests’ actions can impact these animals, Peters said.

“I connect the guests to the animals and give them the facts that they want to know,” Klusendorf said. “These [facts] make the people feel not as different from [the animals].”

The teen work-study program is a selective program; only about 15 percent of applicants are offered the opportunity after an application and interview process.

“Part of our staffing process for this program is being thoughtful about providing space for those who will bring great strengths to the program as well as those who may benefit in many ways,” Peters said. “The end result is that we end up with a fairly mature teen staff that are a balance of experienced teens who are already impacting their communities… and students who are very eager to learn and grow.”

While it is a time consuming job, between the commute to Chicago and the long hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Bruck, Volz and Klusendorf all agreed that the job is well worth the effort.

“It’s a great opportunity,” Bruck said. “There’s so many people there that are supporting you to pursue marine biology, which is nice because in the Midwest many people are just surprised to hear it’s an actual career. Just having that opportunity to be myself and experience marine biology before college is great.”

The teen program not only helps teenagers like Volz, Bruck and Klusendorf form their interest in marine biology, but conversely, the teenagers have a positive impact on the Shedd and it’s efforts, Peters said.

“This group of teens is one of the most dedicated, prepared and passionate I have worked with,” Peters said. “The positive impact they have with our guests only benefits the aquarium and the animals we care for.”