Shapiro resigns from BOE

Todd Shapiro resigns after years of service, plans to continue involvement at LT

Gaby Sabatino, Managing Editor

While attending a student event at LT, Todd Shapiro admires the commendable community from the audience. He sits, waiting attentively and proceeds to fiddle an unusual object through his hands: a plastic spoon. As time passes, Shapiro notices the quiet laughs from a student sitting right beside him. He then leans in and whispers a friendly reminder. “Never grow up,” he said.

After 18 years of service, Shapiro respectively resigned from the Board of Education (BOE) in August 2015. He has filled many positions on the BOE including, President, Secretary, as well as Chairman of the Curriculum, Finance, Technology, Facility and Negotiation committees. He served from 1995 through 2007 and then again from 2009 until 2015.

“What made working on the board for 18 years so enjoyable was that the members overall want the school to be a better place,” Shapiro said.

Danny Benson ’16, student representative for the Board of Education, explains the impact Shapiro has had on the other members of the board.

“Everyone on the board that knew him said that they had learned from his experience,” Benson said.

Shapiro also works at the Illinois CTA society. He has been there for 14 years and previously held the CFO position. However, back in June 2013, he was elected CEO of this non-profit company. His tight schedule led him to the decision to resign from the board.

“The challenge was that I was taking a lot more time traveling inside and outside the state, so I was missing too many meetings,” Shapiro said. “I didn’t think I was being fair to the students or the administration in my absence.”

Despite his departure, colleagues, like Superintendent Dr. Timothy Kilrea, speak highly of his service to the LT community and the impact that he has had on the students and other board members.

“His experience, intelligence and ability to connect and represent his voters greatly benefitted our community,” Kilrea said. “At the end of the day I think he works very well on a team, and our board is a team.”

In order to uphold his everlasting ties to LT, Shapiro plans to continue his involvement by attending games, performances and shows that go on throughout the year. He hopes to maintain strong relationships to the faculty and students of LT.

“There is nothing more gratifying then when you’re sitting at graduation and you see the students walk across that stage,” Kilrea said. “You watch them as they begin to move on from LT and forever appreciate the connection you will have with them.”

The new BOE member will be announced at the Sept. 21 meeting.