LT community reacts to change in AP scores

Rauner signs bill, creates new standard to accept threes in all Illinois public universities

Céilí Doyle, News Editor

Beginning in the 2016-2017 school year, a new Illinois law will take effect that allows all students attending in-state public universities to receive credit for an AP score of three or better, according to the Chicago Tribune. Governor Bruce Rauner signed the new piece of legislation into law on Aug. 13 and the LT community is invested in how this new law will factor into making college decisions.

The reasoning behind Rauner’s decision to pass the new law is based on the fear that many prospective college students had not been considering Illinois public universities due to their policies only accepting fours or fives on AP exams.

“Illinois passed this law because legislators were afraid potential [in-state] students were leaving Illinois to go somewhere else that would accept three’s or better on AP tests,” LT Director of Curriculum and Instruction Scott Eggerding said. “They were also concerned students from outside of Illinois weren’t considering Illinois schools because if they stayed local they could gain credits with a three.”

In recent years the number of students taking AP tests at LT has skyrocketed. With the addition of AP Physics I and the elimination of English IV accel that forced an increase in AP English IV Language and Composition, the number of AP tests administered to students from 2014 to 2015 increased from 742 to 990. Additionally, 88 percent of LT students who took an AP test last May scored a three or higher, according to Eggerding.

Lianne Musser, LT College and Career Center coordinator, is apprehensive about how much the new piece of legislation will change the amount of credit public universities in Illinois will offer students.

“I don’t think a school like U of I is going to be giving away any coursework to be honest, especially if it’s in a required area,” Musser said. “If you’re an engineer and you’re required to get a C or better in Calc 1 and Calc 2, I think receiving a three in Calc 1 AP isn’t cutting it for them. I think they’ll say we’ll give you an elective credit, you still have to take our Calc 1 class; however, I do not know yet what they will decide.”

Despite the uncertainty surrounding the specifics, hundreds of LT students who earned a three on their tests will be feeling the effects of this new law.

“It definitely helps if I’m thinking about an in-state school because I’m more likely to go to a school in Illinois if I’m going to get more credit from the AP test,” Jack Cushing `16 said.

From a financial standpoint, if all LT graduates went to Illinois public universities under the new law, these students would be awarded up to three hours of credit for 1,617 courses. These credit hours could amount to saving anywhere from $2,350,309 to $2,898,618, in college tuition by LT students alone.

“I think the new law will end up being beneficial for all the students here at LT, especially for kids that can only afford to go to cheaper schools,” Adam Cardone `16 said. “If they can get more money off of their classes, every dollar helps.”

While the consequences of changing the accepted score statewide remain to be seen, most administrators and students are hopeful that this new standard will be positive for the LT community.

“I think the law is great,” Eggerding said. “I think it’ll be a really good opportunity for our students and some may actually consider staying more local for college because of it.”