Lockdown: The New LT Study Hall System

Michael Grace, Multimedia Editor

NC administrators have instituted change in the NC study hall procedures. Unlike the study hall students have had in years past where one could roam the room to work with others, with a noise level at a minimum, students are now forced to stay in their seats the entire period in complete silence with two supervisors watching the room.

The change came abruptly after desks in the study hall were allegedly vandalized by students, with a picture of a defaced desk posted to social media.

“Ideally do I want us to get back to a point where students are able to work together? Absolutely,” Assistant Principal Kelly Dostal said. “We need to have vandalism stop.”

Overall there has been mixed reactions to the change from the student body, the majority of which is negative.

“It’s pretty depressing…It seems like it’s an environment where you’re only allowed to breathe,” third period study hall student Owen McNulty ’15 said. “Everyone else is getting punished for something probably five or six kids did, so why should I have to face their punishment?”

Some students have complimented the new system saying they can now get work done more efficiently. Athletic study halls have stayed the same, with the exception of a bigger crackdown on electronics. The regular study hall is supposed to return to its normal state sometime in the future; however, there is no set timeline as to when that will be happening, Dostal said.