LT bowling team strives for state

Anna McCormick, Reporter

Placing second in regionals and ninth in state last season, the bowling team strives to qualify for state for the sixth year in a row.

Although seven varsity bowlers graduated, the team still believes it is possible to qualify at the state invitational on the last weekend of January, John Kane ‘19 said.

“The ideal outcome is that the bowlers learn something, get better, have fun, and the varsity squad will take another trip down to state,” Kane said.

Hard work and sacrifice will be necessary to make it to state, coach Gary Morrill said. Though strong bowlers such as Jackson Chadesh ‘20 and Daniel Hirstein ‘21 are returning, because the team is not as experienced, the students must be willing to put in the work.

“My goal is the same every year, and that is to compete as a team,” Morrill said. “If we do this then everything else takes care of itself. We always believe that we can make it far in the playoffs with an appearance in the state meet.”

This season, the team will be focusing on strategy, and a lot of self-examination in order to make it to state, Morrill said. With more understanding of the game and by bowling on more difficult oil patterns, the players are better equipped for adjustments when the conditions of the lanes change.

“We do not know what the patterns will be for playoffs so we practice on different sport patterns which are harder than what we would normally see in competitions,” Morrill said.

The tryouts were held in mid-October to split the players into three squads- varsity, JV, and freshman/sophomore, Morrill said. They practice five days a week unless a match interferes, and invitationals occur on Saturdays.

“I do not put any importance on any match or invitational,” Morrill said. “It is about where we are at the end of the season and not where we are during the season. Although it is always nice to beat Hinsdale Central.”

Every year the LT bowling team hosts the “Silver Pin,” where Hinsdale Central comes to Rolling Lanes in Countryside, LT’s home bowling alley, to compete, Kane said.

“We have won in our house ever since I have been on the team,” Kane said.