LTCC prepares for Auto Show

Lindsey Hauch, Reporter

For the fifth consecutive year, Lyons Township Car Care (LTCC) automotive program plans to host the Auto Show on Saturday, May 13 in the NC parking lot. While many aspects of the show remain the same, there is one thing LTCC plans on hosting this year that is different from last: more cars. 

“This year we are trying to get more cars,” Automotive Instructor Jordan Engelhardt said. “The most we ever had was 115 cars and this year we are aiming for 150, and we already have 55 pre-signed up.” 

With 10 different trophy categories, including vintage, super car, and over all best in show, the event is sure to attract many different styles of cars. The fee for each car entered is $10, but simply attending the show is free. 

“All the sales go towards LTCC for new tools and the overall upkeep of our shop,” Engelhardt said. 

The show is run by student volunteers from LTCC, so there is a lot of behind the scenes work done to ensure a successful show, Engelhardt said. Daniel Bear ’17, president of LTCC, has been volunteering at the auto show the past three years and is pulling a lot of weight this year in order to contribute to its profit. 

“I’m managing the whole thing,” Bear said. “I’m contacting everyone about it, posting it on my account, calling people to make sure they sign up, and I’ll be directing cars when they come in the show.” 

In addition to the show, hotdogs and pizza will be served from the make-shift V8 engine grill, and the LT auto shop will be open for visitors.  

“The shop will be open to the public to come in and check out our latest projects and ask any questions they have, almost like a show and tell,” Engelhardt said.  

The show itself is rewarding, Engelhardt said, but the best part is being able to offer an event where students and the community can unite under a common interest. 

“It’s a time where students who don’t really get to be in the spotlight bring their cars out,” Engelhardt said. “A lot of students work really hard on their cars and spend a lot of money on them and it’s an opportunity for them to be in the spotlight for the day. There’s a lot of sports, clubs and shows that are great but there are a lot of kids who aren’t involved with that and are more involved with their cars, so it allows them to showcase all of their hard work.” 

The auto show is open to the general public from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., and WLTL as well as LTTV will be there covering the event and providing music.