Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Bowling team shoots for State

Team strives to maintain past success
Bart Koszut ‘26 executes a strike at Rolling Lanes against at Lake Park High School (Klaczynski/LION).

The bowling team season began with the first match on Nov. 3 against Glenbard co-op where the varsity and JV team unfortunately lost but their JV 2 team took the win. After reaching state last year, varsity coach Gary Morrill hopes to have another successful season.

“We have the same goal every year, to make it to state, which we do quite frequently, so nothing changes,” Morrill said. “Everything we do, practice matches, invitationals, is all about getting to state and what we have to do, to change things to make sure we get there.” 

Newer JV players, such as Ash Cornelison ’26, aspire to make it to varsity this season but also want to grow the strength of their relationships on the team.

“Bowling means family,” Cornelison said. “It means showing up to practice every day, working hard, making friends, and staying in touch with these people along the way.”

However, there are some returning varsity players who intend to give it their all this season. Conner Krisher ’25 is returning for his second year as a varsity member and intends to continue to advance in the ranks. 

“Bowling is a lot more stressful and mentally straining than other sports,” Krisher said. “It’s easy to become obsessed with your score. I believe a 120-pound child could bowl the same game as a 220-pound child. Bowling is a mental game, not a physical one.”

The bowling team captains for this season are Danny Haley ‘25 and John Bee ‘24. Haley had his season high last year with a bowl score of 297, three away from a perfect score. Bee’s record was 227. 

“Both captains are not only at their positions for their talent at bowling,” Krisher said. “But also because of the influence and encouragement they bring to the team.”

However, the bowling team is more than just about winning, Morill said.

“Every year when we get to state, I always make sure that I take time away from bowling,” Morrill said. “We get down and chat about where you’re going to college with my assistant coach. What will you be studying? Then it’s what are you thinking about with the juniors? What college are you looking for? So it’s not necessarily about bowling.  It’s about the experience with them as a person rather than just the sport.”

Varsity starts its regional matchups on Jan. 13, 2024.