Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Foreign language clubs prep for soccer tournament

Aims to bring club members together to play in school wide competition
LT Latin Club won the Golden Squirrel in last year’s World Cup (photo courtesy of the LT Latin Instagram page)

Students involved in the LT foreign language clubs will come together on Nov. 2 to compete in the annual World Language and Culture Club World Cup Soccer Tournament, an event that strives to promote unity and celebrate the diversity amongst the LT foreign language clubs. 

“I’ve noticed that [the tournament] really helps students find anywhere from a small to a big role of leadership,” German Club sponsor Shannon Murray said. “The kids who get involved in it realize how to run the World Cup, but it also helps bring people together because they meet new people while working on it.”

Every year, the German Club hosts the World Cup Tournament, Murray said. Each team involves a variety of world language and multicultural clubs including the Latin, French, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Latinos Juntos, and a combination of the Greek and the Arabic club. The German club prepares by covering responsibilities such as setting up, running the snack tables, cleaning, modeling sportsmanship, and making signs for each team. Students that are not playing in the tournament also have the opportunity to talk to club sponsors if they are interested in joining a specific language club. 

“I love the togetherness and unity that [the tournament] promotes between all the different language clubs,” French Club co-sponsor William Payant ‘24 said. “It can give [club members] a break from the stress of school and allow them time to put all their energy into a fun game between friends.”

The winners of the World Cup Tournament receive the Golden Squirrel Trophy, Murray said. Whichever club wins gets to keep the trophy for the entire school year or longer depending on if they win again. 

“We have so many different languages at LT, so [the tournament] is a way to bring different language clubs and classes together since we don’t get to interact with each other very much,” Latin Club proconsul co-leader Katherine Prystalski ‘24 said. “Anyone learning a language can participate in this tournament or you can come and cheer on your friends.”

The tournament will take place from 4-6 p.m. at SC in gyms 1-2 and 3-4, Murray said. The German Club is anticipating about 150-200 students alongside 10 language club sponsors or staff members. Each game will be approximately seven minutes long. However, the games could last longer depending on overtime. 

“[The tournament] is a fun way for students to experience the diversity at LT but also for them to find a place where they belong,” Murray said. “LT has so much diversity and we want to showcase the beauty that is diversity and this is one of the small ways that we can do that.”