Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Partnership sets up goal to succeed

Unlikely duo boosts morale
Zach+Morgan+24+fighting+for+ball+during+game+against+Stagg+High+School+at+NC+Fields+on+Sept.+7+%28Klos%2FLION%29.+
Zach Morgan ’24 fighting for ball during game against Stagg High School at NC Fields on Sept. 7 (Klos/LION).

For the past couple of fall seasons, boys soccer and girls volleyball have had a partnership. The two teams attend each other’s games and cheer each other on throughout the course of the year. Between both teams, the one game they make sure to come support is when they take on Hinsdale Central.

It means a lot to have another sport supporting me,” Danny Svelnis ‘24 said. “It just feels good to know that you have fans who are also athletes themselves cheering you on. Also, the fact that they take time out of their busy schedule with sports and school to come cheer for you adds another level, especially against Hinsdale Central.”

During the silver brick game between LT boys soccer and Hinsdale Central, the added bonus of having another team there cheering helps athletes during the game, Svelnis said. For girls volleyball the partnership takes on another level of support. It is especially meaningful for players such as Abby Saunders ‘24.

“Volleyball is a big girls sport, but the attendance isn’t the highest,” Saunders said. “Having a big team like varsity soccer there just makes the room feel full, it’s so hype having fans there supporting you so to have those fans you can count on is really special.”

Both teams tend to bring along their own ways of cheering on each team while cheering on each other. 

“Last year, [boys soccer] came to one of our games and were doing their weird cheers,” Saunders said. “But they were loud so it made the game fun and exciting. The energy in the room changes because parents being hype is completely different to having a student section. It’s just more fun and louder.”

The partnership has real in game benefits, Svelnis said. Both teams being there for each other in tough moments and late game struggles has an effect. 

“It impacts game in and game out,” Svelnis said. “It gives me the extra motivation to work hard and win. Knowing that extra people are rooting for you makes you want to win even more and not disappoint them.”

Boys soccer next plays on Sept. 29 against Rauner Prep at Bennett field, while girls volleyball next plays on Sept. 29 against Downers Grove South at the North Campus Field House.