Girls lacrosse kicks off, seeks new growth

Team welcomes new players, senior completes sibling legacy

Charlotte Rice ‘24 works on passing in cold weather during warmups on March 13 on Bennett Field (Burke/LION).

Molly Burke, Sports Editor

Returning for her fifth year coaching at LT with four years as varsity head coach, Cecillia Luxem was excited to get back on the field with her team to prepare for the new season, she said. She appreciates how willing the girls are to help each other learn and develop based on their knowledge, as well as being supportive and inclusive.

It’s so fun to have the team back together again,” Luxem said. “They are extremely goofy and get along really well.”

Nine varsity lacrosse girls graduated last year, leaving many spots to fill for this squad. The team saw one of the largest tryouts in years ranging from freshman to senior and many different experience levels, Luxem said.

“Because this is a newer team, we have a lot of teaching to do,” Luxem said. “I’m confident we can work on developing skills and knowledge quickly.”

Attacker Nora Collins ‘23 sees her new teammates as a positive impact on girls lacrosse at LT, she said. The team is able to feel confident about the program’s future and incredibly happy that younger girls are getting involved in the sport. Collins hopes to do as much bonding as they can throughout the season to find that strong connection they felt last year.

“Communication is key for bonding with teammates,” Collins said. “No matter how hard the practices get, it’s key to remember to communicate with each other, ask questions, reach out, and inevitably build the trust that we need in one another to be a successful team.”

An event that the program looks forward to every year is the Pinkout Game. Held on May 16, LT will host Hinsdale Central, where the team will be excited to play the classic rivalry game and for a meaningful cause, Luxem said.

“It’s great to see the community come together for the cancer awareness games and make a lasting difference,” Collins said. “It’s such an awesome environment no matter the outcome.”

With her fourth year on varsity, Amanda Hahn ‘23 started playing lacrosse in first grade, but it became her main sport in high school when she began playing for the Lakeshore Lacrosse club team. Hahn’s older sisters, Lily Hahn ‘17 And Emma Hahn ‘19 were the true reason she began playing lacrosse, she said. Hahn has had many achievements with the team, including making the All-State second team her sophomore year and varsity captain for three years.

“When my sisters played on varsity at LT together, the coach let me stand on the sidelines and be a water girl,” Hahn said. “Also, I’ve always been a defender because both of my sisters played defense. 

Luxem coached Lily and Emma during summer camps over the years, but Amanda was the first of the siblings to have on her team. She believes they are all amazing girls who dedicated a lot of their time to the lacrosse program.

“What I really value about [the Hahns] are their outstanding leadership skills,” Luxem said. “They have all left a lasting impression on the team and I think we all will remember the Hahn name for many years to come.”

The varsity team will compete March 23 on Bennett field against Trinity High School at 4:30 p.m.