Boys lacrosse embraces new head coach,

Team welcomes incoming, returning players, prepares for successful season

Sam Kidder ’22 works to gather loose ball during home game against Waubonsie Valley HS on March 14 (Wolf/LION).

Sydney Wolf, Reporter

After eight years of coaching at State College High School in Pennsylvania, the LT boys lacrosse coach, William Kalbfleisch, is returning to lead the team this season. With tryouts finished, the team strives to rebuild last year’s bond and come back stronger, according to Kalbfleisch. Returning from Pennsylvania was not a hard decision for him. He loved his experience at LT and missed the environment and community, he said. 

“I think I’ve always loved the school district and parents,” Kalbfleisch said. “And a chance to go back and help and redirect things was something I wanted to do.”

Cullen McManaman ‘22 is excited for the start of a new season and is looking forward to a strong final year, where the team can have the opportunity to win as many games as possible. Being shut down for about two weeks last year due to COVID-19 sets the team up for an even more successful season, provided they have more time to practice and play. 

McManaman has been playing since freshman year and is still debating continuing into college, he said. Knowing the experience the new coach has makes him very optimistic and intrigued to see what new ideas Kalbfleisch will bring to the table. McManaman is also thrilled to meet all of the new players, as well as maintain and strengthen old bonds with returning seniors. 

“It’s unfortunate that we lost many good players from last year,” he said. “Although, I am very excited to play with the new kids and just to be a part of a team of people who are great to be around.”

Another returning player, Sam Kidder ‘22, was introduced to lacrosse by his dad at the young age of 3 years old. While he spent his middle school years focusing on basketball, he walked into high school wanting different things, he said. Kidder will be playing club lacrosse at the University of Utah next year, and possibly walking on to their Division I team. 

Kidder has high hopes for this season, as last year the team wasn’t at their fullest potential. The team spent a lot of the season making a few too many careless mistakes, not taking care of possessions, or communicating enough, he said. 

“I don’t have many specific quantitative goals, I rather just want to see our team play good lacrosse,” Kidder said. “I think we will have some guys this year who will stay really focused on their play.”

The boys are definitely going to miss some of last year’s leaders, Kidder said. Three former players, Patrick Ryan ‘21, Joey Metzger-Veome ‘21, and Will Fink ‘21, went on to play Division III lacrosse in college. Many others are currently playing club lacrosse in college, as well. However, between losing great players and their previous coach, Kidder and the team remain confident that this season’s group will help carry them through many big wins, he said. The team is also anxious to see what Kalbfleisch has in store, and are positive about his deep knowledge for the game.

“Coach K is a veteran coach who knows what it takes for teams to win games,” Kidder said. “His coaching style is tough and old school, which is perfect for our team, for he shows what’s necessary to win.”

The boys will be playing their next home game April 6 at 7:00 on Bennett Field against Wheaton-Warrenville South High School