Football loses home opener to New Trier

Team plans to come back stronger

Players march toward Bennett Field (Burke/LION).

Nicholas Barbera, Reporter

Lyons Township faced off against New Trier in a home football game this past Friday, Aug. 27, serving as a return to an in-person school year for students and staff. The final score was 30-23 in favor of New Trier.

The majority of the first quarter was uneventful as both teams were unable to score any points. It wasn’t until the second quarter that things started looking up for LT with a score of 7-0 with 5:24 remaining.

New Trier continued to fight back–achieving the next drive within two plays of the initial scoring–while LT gradually added points to the board, finishing the second quarter with a score of 9-7, LT leading.

Throughout the third quarter, however, New Trier scored two touchdowns and two-point conversions to match them. This resulted in a score of 23-9 heading into the final part of the game.

LT would score an additional 14 points throughout the fourth quarter, but New Trier put up seven more making the final score 30-23.

“[We] let up too many big plays defensively,” varsity head football coach Jon Beutjer said. “Offensively [we had to] sustain field goals [and] touchdowns.”

Beutjer expressed the need to perfect the team’s technique. His end goal is to reduce the number of big plays given up, and increase the amount secured by the team, he said.

Despite their loss, quarterback Joseph Antonietti ‘22 is determined and optimistic for the upcoming game, he said.

“We are going to come out with a chip on our shoulders and play with some attitude [on Friday],” Antonietti said. “Expect a different outcome.”

LT plays Addison Trail Friday, Sept. 3 at 7:30 p.m. at home on Bennett Field.