ATOM: Trell Harris

Kate Ferrel, Reporter

On the North Field of New Trier on Aug 30. the varsity football team had its first game of the season. Wide receiver Trell Harris ’22 opened the season with the first touchdown of the year.

“I’ve been dreaming about this ever since I started playing football,” Harris said.

Harris started in third grade for Western Springs, then went on to play for Lyons Football Club, the junior league for LT football.

Last year Harris played on LT’s freshman A team where he was familiar with the team environment and the players. But, this year he has had to adjust to the new team, and new plays, Harris said.

“Trell is the type of player that you would see making a game winning catch,” quarterback Joey Antonietti ’22 said. “He is quick, has great hands and is a great teammate.”

As Harris is learning what it means to be a varsity football player, he has been putting in extra work before and after practice, varsity head coach Dan Hartman said.

“He gives us a spark on offensive”

-Dan Hartman

“He gives us a spark on offensive,” Hartman said. “Anytime he has the ball in his hands, he is able to make a big play.”

Although he is one of the youngest on the team, he leads by example, Hartman said.

“As a player, Harris is always someone I can ask to go throw balls with because I know he is willing to get better,” quarterback Blaise Reichert ’20 said.

Reichert has known Harris since eighth grade, but has never played with him until this year. Despite switching between quarterbacks this season, it has not affected Harris on the field, Hartman said.

The team understands that no matter who the quarterback is, we need to win, Antonietti said. “The team trusts that whoever is in the game will give 100%.”

As only a sophomore Harris has the potential to be one of the best players in the conference, Hartman said. He has five touchdowns this season, as of Oct. 11.

One of the biggest challenges for the team this season has been staying locked in and executing small details, Reicher said.

But as the season is coming along, not only is the team improving but Harris has excelled at running routes, Hartman said.

“I can be confident in that [Harris] will be able to find a way to get open,” Reichert said. “Trell has gotten a lot better at being able to break tackles and get yards after he catches the ball.”

Harris also plays for the MidWest Boom club team. There he is able to play against teams from Florida, Texas, Georgia and Ohio, along with their top players from that state.

“[MidWest Boom has] helped me be more competitive overall,” Harris said.

With the goals of helping LT win a state championship, Harris hopes to continue his football career at a Big Ten college, He said.

He has looked up to his uncle and former LT alumni and Northwestern football player, Matthew Harris ’13.

“[He’s] the one who made me want to play football,” Trell Harris said.

Matthew played on LT varsity football starting sophomore year, and has attended all but one of Trell’s games.

“[I] enjoy watching him dominate the field I once played on,” Matthew said.

“Staying healthy and the off season will be big for him, but has the ability to play football as far as he wants to take it. [He has] the capabilities to take it to the next level.”