Softball season heads for playoffs

Hayden Claesson, Reporter

1 vote

As March rolled around, many spring sports were starting practices and getting a headstart on their season. Unfortunately, the softball team did not enjoy this luxury due to inclement plaguing the first few weeks of the season.

“The cancellations in the beginning of the season affected us a lot because we never had a chance to practice on an actual field,” captain Dana Reynolds ‘18 said. “We had to use the gyms at SC for a majority of our practices.”

Despite mother nature slowing the beginning of the season, the team remains optimistic, boasting a 10-8 record as of May 8 and setting some hefty goals ahead of them.

“We want to improve from last year,” coach Nicole Marinec said. “Last season we won regionals and went on to sectionals, however we lost to Marist in the sectional championship.”

The team is looking to utilize its communication, leadership and experience to reach their goals, with much of the players being upperclassmen, Marinec said. Of the 16 players on the roster, 15 of them are either juniors or seniors. Many of the returning seniors are hoping to make an impact, as they have been playing together for much of their softball careers. When the current seniors were on the freshman team, they finished the season undefeated.

“Softball is different from other programs because a lot of us have played together since we were younger,” Reynolds said. “Because of this we all have a really close bond.”

Some of the biggest games this season have included the pinkout game on May 4 against Hinsdale South, where the team attracted a packed cheering section. Feeling the energy of the crowd, they won the game 5-0. Another big game was senior night against Argo, the team was trailing the entire game until the final innings when captain Angelina Damico ‘18 and Teagan Bozzi ‘18 had some key, late hits which turned the game around in LT’s favor and winning it 7-4.

“Those hits not only turned the game around, but it helped the rest of the girls feel more confident at the plate.” Damico said.

The team’s postseason begins May 23 with the regional semifinals, with the goal of advancing to sectionals and then to state, which occurs on June 8-9 in Peoria.