Taming the devil

With the return of star seniors, addition of skilled sophomores, varisty boys basketball team aspires toward successful season, beating Hinsdale Central at Pack-the-Place

Adam Janicki, Sports Editor

Year after year one of LT’s most anticipated rivals, Hinsdale Central, plays the LT varsity basketball team on the Lions’ home court in front of thousands of fans. On Dec. 16 the two high-caliber teams will be competing in the Pack-the-Place game. While this matchup is typically scheduled as the blackout game, the team will instead host that event in January versus Glenbard West. Despite changes in their schedule, the team finds itself in a position destined for success.

“I think that we will be very competitive this year,” varsity Head Coach Tom Sloan said. “We have several players with experience returning from last year and when we played over the summer they did a good job of defending and playing well on both ends of the floor.”

Following a summer filled with rigorous technical training and intense conditioning exercises, the team has further gained an edge over their opponents. Leading the team this year will be experienced leaders Connor Niego ‘17, Noah Niego ‘17, Eli Bright ’17 and Frank Cannistra ‘17. Adding to the depth of the team, Sloan has brought up an array of talented players from the 2015 sophomore team. New acquisitions include: Matt Piento ‘18, Nate Rusk ‘18, Robert Spencer ‘18, Lazarius Williams ‘19, Nick McColgan ‘19, and Ryan Barker ‘19.

“When the time comes to play tougher opponents, especially Central, the new sophomores and skilled younger guys like Nolan Niego ‘19 and Tyrese Shines ‘19 are going to bring energy and flare to our game,” Bright said. “Year after year, Hinsdale is always a solid, competitive team. I don’t think they’ll be as good this year because they no longer have their star big men and the experience they had before.”

Both the wildness of the Wierdos and the sheer number of students share a profound impact felt by every member of the team.

“I know Pack-the-Place is usually like a family event but since it is such a huge game I think that it’s going to attract a lot more students,” Cannistra said. “Hopefully the fans come out and support us because as a player we build off their energy and it contributes to our success.”

Despite what may seem like one of the toughest games of the year, especially when there is close to 9,000 people watching a rivalry game, the team is ready for their big games versus Hinsdale, Shines said.

“This year we have some very demon-like players on our team that aren’t afraid of anything,” Shines said. “We won’t back down to anyone. Hinsdale may be competitive, but we are too.”

As the date approaches, it’s important that the team focuses on one game at a time. Bright said.

“This year we got a better skill set and we are more focused than ever,” Bright said. “Every day we are going to be competing with a passion and pushing ourselves so when it’s game time we are ready to win.”