Sports Superstitions: Camilo Drobny

Adam Janicki, Reporter

When the last few varsity soccer players arrive at the North Campus locker room, Camilo Drobny ‘16 knows it’s time to crank up the speakers. The song they play has been a long-lasting superstition and tradition for the team.

“Before every game, our team has to play the song ‘In the Air Tonight’ by Phil Collins,” Drobny said.  “And when the drum solo comes on we bang on the lockers to the beat of the drums, which creates this adrenaline rush that fires us up before every game.”

Since freshman year Drobny remembers the song playing in the locker rooms before every game, but no one truly knows how far back it goes.

“If the team somehow did not play the song, we wouldn’t have the same mentality going into the game,” Drobny said. “We have done a great job over the years making sure the song is played, even if that means playing it on the bus or on the field during warmups.”

As one of the captains on the team, Drobny feels an obligation to uphold the pre-game music tradition. However, the song does more than just pump up the team before a game.

“The song not only allows us to reflect on our game, but it also reminds us of all the games we have played together, and pride we have as a team,” Drobny said. “Hopefully years from now this song and superstition will still be circulating around the locker room.”