Athlete of the year: Kelsey Kurfirst

Athlete of the year: Kelsey Kurfirst

Bailey Blum, Assistant Sports Editor

If you were to travel back a few years and visit McClure Junior High School, you’d notice something peculiar in the gym fields to the south of the main building: while everyone else is playing kickball or baseball, one girl stands alone in the outfield, seemingly off in her own universe, because the excitement of other sports simply doesn’t cut it for her. This is Kelsy Kurfirst ‘15.

“I’ve always been pretty active and energetic,” Kurfirst said. “I just love the thrill you get from flipping around and defying gravity.”

Naturally, at a young age Kurfirst was drawn to the elaborate and dangerous world of gymnastics. Her mom enrolled her in classes at the age of 4 at Premier Gymnastics Gym, and she stuck to it with a fiery passion up until seventh grade, when that fire seemed to be starting to burn out.

“I quit in seventh grade, because it just became too much pressure,” Kurfirst said. “I didn’t like it anymore. I needed a break.”

Fortunately, that break didn’t last too long. After a few months, Kurfirst made the decision to attend an LT gymnastics meet, which inspired her and made her realize how much she missed the flips and tumbles of the sport. Her mom enrolled her in Action Gymnastics Gym, and after that it was off to the races.

Kurfirst made the decision to join LT gymnastics upon entering high school, and became one of only two freshmen along with Kelly Ryser ‘15 on the unusually small varsity team, which had only five people total. This small size, however, turned out to be an extremely positive experience for Kurfirst.

“It was really great because it was such a small group, but such a close-knit group,” Kurfirst said. “That was really when I began to fall in love with gymnastics.”

This close-knit attitude and focus on bonding stayed with Kurfirst throughout her four incredible years at LT, and became the primary focus of her attitude both on the floor and outside of the gym.

“The most important aspect of high school gymnastics every year for me has been bonding as a team and getting to know all of the girls,” Kurfirst said. “You’re all there, together, 18-20 hours a week, laughing, crying…you go through the journey as a team.”

Her intense focus on teamwork wasn’t the only thing people took notice of, however. Her innate desire to compete and her heightened sense of competition also earned her wide recognition from both her teammates and her coaches.

“From the very first time she competed as a freshman, there was a certain elegance and sophistication to her, and an unbelievable drive for perfection,” Kari Karubas, Head Coach of varsity gymnastics, said. “She was able to push through most obstacles and turn them into opportunities.”

Her drive paid off. Throughout her four years, Kurfirst won a whopping 15 state medals from the IHSA State competitions, and was voted team MVP three years in a row. She managed to compete in every single event of every meet for her entire career, and was also blessed with the gift of never facing any serious injuries besides minor aches and pains. However, this outstanding career performance would not have been possible without the consistent and comforting support of her parents and older brother, she said.

“Especially on those hard days when I didn’t feel like practicing, they were the ones who got me through it,” Kurfirst said. “They never pushed me too hard, and always made sure I was doing what made me happy.”

Next year, Kurfirst has decidied to take her competition to the highest level and will be continuing her gymnastics career at Cornell University.

“She’s going to do fantastic things in college,” Ryser said. “They’re going to love her there. She’ll have the time of her life.”

Although in just a few short months Kurfirst will be halfway across the country, there is no doubt her accomplishments and exceptional attitude will stay prominent in the halls of LT for a very long time. Kurfirst has established herself as one of the most decoarated gymnasts in LT’s history and will live on through the record boards.

“Her name is all over that gym,” Karubas said. “Her legacy will be sure to continue to linger and motivate.”