Today, tomorrow, forever: brothers and sisters

Isabel Tuisl, Reporter

What comes to mind when someone mentions a college sorority or fraternity? Parties? Hazing? Society’s connotation is usually negative, but that is just another reason to be a part of Greek life: to prove to the public that stereotypes surrounding the college lifestyle are wrong. Greek life is built on the sense of community brought to its members, the leadership skills that are developed, their philanthropic donations to charities, and many other benefits.

The sense of community and togetherness in Greek life stems from the friends, or rather sisters and brothers, that people make in their sorority or fraternity homes. Being part of Greek life is one of the easiest ways to make friends because they are living right there with you, in a new environment away from your home and family that you have been around your whole life. In a sense, it is a “home away from home.”

“I wanted to pledge because becoming Greek allows for the creation of very close friendships, thus leading to mutual connections regarding job opportunities in the future,” former LT student, Adam Janicki ‘17, said. As of early October, he was still deciding what fraternity to join at the University of Minnesota.

Many leadership opportunities are also available through Greek life. All participants in fraternities and sororities will get their chance to be a leader for an event, whether you are an officer, on a committee, or just a participant, according to the Greek life website from New Mexico State University. You will learn how to manage a budget, run effective meetings, speak in public, and motivate others.

“Greek life establishes many opportunities for leadership positions within the frat and there are many philanthropic events that portray volunteerism and beneficial attributes that can be put on resumes for jobs,” Janicki said.

Not only are your fellow Greek members great friends, they can also be your academic support system. Talking to older students can save you time and energy from taking courses that are not informative, taught by teachers that are not helpful. As well as getting the scoop on the classes you are taking, your friends can also be your study buddies. Acquiring many friends also gives you a better chance of knowing someone that has connections for job opportunities after college. Plus, clubs and charity work in college look great on a resume.

Speaking of charity work, that is another huge, positive aspect of Greek life. According to the Dictionary definition of philanthropy, it is the desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes. Many sororities and fraternities hold charity events for their houses.

“I’m in [Tri Sigma at Mizzou],” another former LT student, Mia Shapiro ‘17, said. “At our house we [sell tickets for] a kindergarten dinner [that we hold], and the money we raise from that goes to March of Dimes. March of Dimes is a charity that raises money for premature babies.”

Next time you hear the words “sorority” or “fraternity,” do not automatically assume negative things about them, or jump to conclusions about stereotypes. People make lifelong brothers or sisters while being part of Greek life in college, as well as extending legacies and tradition, and proving stereotypes wrong.