Students begin to embrace photography as creative visual outlet

Lindsey Hauch, Pulse Editor

A picture is worth 1,000 words, but it seems like now-a-days, these words are clearer, have better quality and are perfectly edited. While an increasing number of students vest time and money into photography, what is the attracting factor about this hobby that has begun to sweep LT? 

“There is a degree of instant gratification, you get to see your work right away, and you can see right away if it turned out really well or not, and you can go back to it pretty quickly and fix it,” Photography Club sponsor Elizabeth Martinez said. “The instantaneous nature of photography makes it a little more fun.” 

While photography is favored due to its spontaneous nature, it is also popular through its ability to connect people and emotions. 

“I have a small friend group of photographers, and we go together to take pictures in Chicago or around here,” Kirsten Meyer ’18 said. “I like capturing emotions, more candid photos, ones you do not expect.” 

In addition to taking photos for fun, there is also the incentive to enter photography contests, Meyers said. Though the competitive side of taking pictures is exciting, photography is becoming somewhat of a necessary skill. 

“It is current with the world around us,” Martinez said. “Photography is very relevant, and besides it being an artistic outlet, it is almost a practical skill. Especially with business and marketing and the internet being such a strong force, if you can also take nice pictures, that would be more beneficial.” 

Another essential aspect of taking pictures is the type of camera used. After starting off with simple disposable Kodak camera in third grade, Hugh O’Donnell ’18 eventually advanced to a more professional, higher-end option. 

“I definitely have noticed a greater interest in photography as people start to realize how cool of an art form it is,” he said. 

As digital photography begins to outweigh more traditional film photography, there is no doubt current technology has contributed to the expansion of this hobby. 

“Part of what has changed is that cameras have gotten so much better on the cell phones,” Martinez said. “Then you have things like Instagram and Snapchat where kids are casually taking pictures and they start to want to actually get better at it, they want to have better pictures to show everybody out in the world.” 

The effect of social media on the photography phenomenon can be one of the most satisfying aspects. One can easily share their talents with the world by posting their work, leading to a greater interest in the hobby as it draws more attention online. 

“I think the best thing about taking pictures is coming home and looking at them and sharing them with the people you took them of, and on social media,” Meyers said. 

Photography in and of itself holds such a wide range of interest and abilities, resulting in a great passion among teens looking for a creative outlet.  

“It is important to develop yourself as a person, so being involved in a club or having a hobby really gives you a way to express yourself and develop who you are,” Martinez said. “I think the number one thing for students, and specifically for photography, is to express yourself and learn about your interests.”