‘Anyone But You’ review

Film portrays chaos on vacation, fake dating, and true love

Romantic comedies are not for everyone, but when two popular actors are involved in a steamy plot, it can quickly become a must-see movie. “Anyone but You” was released to theaters on Dec. 22, and it focuses on the trope of fake dating between characters Beatrice and Ben, played by Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell, who travel to Australia for a wedding. It is a loosely adapted version of Shakespeare’s most popular comedy “Much Ado About Nothing.” 

As someone who enjoys a rom com, this movie was decent. I wasn’t pleased or disappointed but I left the theater feeling that some lines and moments in the movie were too cringeworthy for my liking. The movie and plot itself drive you to root for the relationship between Bea and Ben, but a lot of times, both characters were highly annoying with their irrational decisions that ultimately lead to a chaotic series of events.

Bea is a woman in her 20s who can’t seem to find a solid path in life after ending a long-term relationship with a man her family adored. The concept of changing her life and making abrupt decisions is relatable for a lot of women. With that being said, I appreciated the idea of her deciding not to pursue law school from the get-go because like a lot of people, she decided it wasn’t right for her. Ben seems to be perceived as a playboy throughout the movie who has an abundance of confidence, but you actually discover that’s far from the truth. 

Both characters’ chemistry is supposed to be based on the countless negative experiences they have with each other that then turns to falling in love with one another. Although this development panned out well and the scenes leading up to their love confessions were exciting, the petty interactions between them really took away from the experience. It just seemed very immature and embarrassing for adults. However, I can’t help but love one highly unrealistic scene towards the middle of the movie that takes place on a boat, because of how absurd it was. If you like light romantic chaos, this would be enjoyable for you. 

In terms of the acting, I believe that Sweeny was miscast in this movie. It’s easy to not like a character when the actor doesn’t embody them very well. She didn’t bring the right energy to the movie, and her line delivery is mostly flat in both romantic and comedic scenes. I’m sure she and Powell have great chemistry outside, but it wasn’t portrayed well in the movie itself. 

One thing that had my heart was the theme song “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield that was played throughout the movie. It was sort of a motif of their connection and ultimate love and devotion to each other towards the end. “Anyone But You” is exclusively in theaters worldwide until February. 

2.5/5