Funding environmental growth

Greta Markey, Managing Editor

At LT, we pride ourselves on being a school with exceptional educational and extracurricular opportunities that foster success in any area of study or interest. We have impressive sports teams, academics, creative arts programs and many would say that, as a school, we are quick to pick up on innovative courses and facilities that other schools don’t have the funding or the dedicated administration to successfully adopt. However, amidst all of this success, there is one thing that we as LT are falling short on: becoming more environmentally friendly.

Yes, we have a great Recycling Club and offer environmental science courses, but as a well-funded school, we could be implementing so much more to educate our students, improve our facilities and emerge as a model for other schools on another front.

According to Green Schools Initiative, schools that invest in green technology save on average $100,000 per year. LT has the funds now to invest in a lifestyle that will benefit it economically in the long term, so why wouldn’t we take this opportunity?

Because it’s easy not to. The effects of not introducing green technology and practices into our school are neither direct nor immediate. This is why climate change has for so long remained unaddressed. The effects, although extremely dangerous and worrying, are gradual. Even though we cannot immediately see the harm we are doing to the environment, it still exists, and it exists all around the country and the world.

But one thing that many don’t understand about adopting environmentally friendly practices is that, as easy as they are to ignore, they are just as easy to adopt. By simply requiring the use of green cleaning products, recycled paper and reduced cafeteria waste, LT could create healthier and more efficient working communities for its staff and students.

Another opportunity that Recycling Club could work with is creating composting bins in the courtyards of both NC and SC. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that about one fourth of all food waste is organic material that could be composted. If students had the opportunity to dispose of their organic waste to produce fertile soil that could be both sold to local companies and used in our Transition Garden and on our campuses, they would probably take it.

Environmental conscientiousness is a lesson that every student should be exposed to. It can form positive habits that extend far past high school. By simply making students think about the consequences, both positive and negative, of their actions, they are more likely to make decisions that benefit the future of our community and our planet.

LT is in a very lucky position to be able to fund environmental technology like solar panels and friendly heating and cooling. It can act as a positive example to both other schools and its students. Small changes can create many positive effects. Let’s go green, LT.