Embrace your culture

Spiro Kass, Editor-in-Chief

Whether it was the turquoise-blue ocean illuminated by the bright sun, the tall, evergreen mountains that outlined the horizon, or simply the overwhelming sense of being at home, my trip to Greece this past summer was filled with experiences and emotions that allowed me to have the time of my life.

For three weeks, I was given the opportunity to experience fascinating excursions across Greece with Ionian Village, a summer camp mandated through the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America that allows Greek-American high school students to tour through the country and learn about their culture and religion. Although the striking beauty of the country absorbed most of my attention, the thought occasionally crossed my mind that not everyone is as passionate and interested in their nationality as I am.

The thought that some people are not engaged in their culture disturbed me, mainly due to the importance my culture bestows upon my life. When people know who I am, they are usually aware of my Greek heritage; it is an essential part of my identity, and I would be a completely different person without it. Yet it pains me to think that some people do not realize how the knowledge and involvement with their heritage can reveal a whole new, fascinating side to their lives.

As Americans, we live in a melting pot of cultures, identities and ethnicities. We would not be the same country we are today if it weren’t for our values in immigration and our acceptance to people of all different races. It is easy to take pride in being American, but in order to do so, it’s important to understand what being an American truly means. Everyone, no matter their ethnic group or background, should take pride and engage in their own cultural heritage. It’s an essential part of what make the United States the country that it is.

Learning about the cultural aspects of your ethnicity allows you to express yourself in an extraordinary way. Whether it be learning about traditions or trying new food, engaging in different parts of your culture unfolds another piece of yourself and adds another layer of perspective to your life.

As for me, my interest in my Greek origin has allowed me to cross paths with people that can relate to my life in deeper ways than others, simply based on our cultural similarities. Exploring your heritage can reveal a new side of you, and can potentially lead to friendships that will last a lifetime.

Nevertheless, it angers me that multiculturalism has made its way to become a major topic of politics. People of all different ideological beliefs continually debate whether or not we should incorporate the values of multiculturalism into our society. But it’s not something to attack or to defend; it’s something to simply embrace. For no matter what the argument is, we live in a multicultural society where each and every citizen represents a cultural background.

Also, I understand that not everyone is able to travel to their origin country and truly experience the culture like I was able to do. However, there are many different ways a person can learn and embrace his or her ethnic background. Chicago is a gateway of multiculturalism, with a countless number of museums and ethnic cuisines that are available for anyone to explore and try out. Let’s also not forget about the internet, where anyone could research anything about their culture and nationality.

Just remember, there is more to each and every one of us than being simply American. You are not just Asian, African American, Latino, Caucasian or any other superficial label that you are given. You’re Japanese, or Ugandan, or Chilean, or Swedish, or anything else that describes the importance of your culture and who you truly are. As for me, I’m not just white. I’m Greek, and I would not be the same person if I was otherwise.