Going bananas

Local zip lines offer amusement, adrenaline-packed experience

Going+bananas

Philip Smith, Editor in Chief

Hidden away in the jungles of Western Springs, zip lines snake through the forest canopy and people from all over the Chicagoland area fly into cargo nets hung 40 feet above the ground. The new addition to the local forest preserve Bemis Woods South is Go Ape, a company that runs zip lines and treetop obstacle courses nationwide. The course, which takes full advantage of the unseen beauty of the forest preserve, opened in June.

The course started with a short briefing, during which the staff teaches patrons about the safety features on the course, which are simple and easy to use. After that, participants move on to the first of five “sites,” which are independent obstacle courses that start with ascending a rope ladder into the forest canopy and end with a zip line that ends on the forest floor.

The obstacles themselves are varied enough that the course can accommodate everyone from experienced climbers to an average person looking to confront a fear of heights. For example, a more experienced climber can choose difficult options like dangling rope rings while a beginner can walk over suspended platforms. Other obstacles include “Tarzan Swings,” which are rope swings into cargo nets, wire transverses and balance beams. Staff members are constantly patrolling the course to help struggling climbers.

One of the few problems that presents itself was congestion. Some of the sites had a 15 to 20 minute wait to get started, but once participants get past the initial traffic jam, the course moves rather quickly.

The experience is also rather expensive, but overall worthwhile. Depending on age, tickets range from $37 to $57 for the entire three hour course. Students can get a small discount.

The course is easily accessible off Ogden Avenue, but subsequent sites take climbers deeper and higher into the forest, culminating in a large, final zip line that brings climbers back to the forest floor.

The atmosphere at Go Ape was also very nice. Helpful staff members were always on patrol, ready to assist any member of the “tribe” that needed it. The scenery and peaceful air—punctuated by screams from the zip lines—also added to the experience. After finishing, you also feel almost euphoric, with a huge self-confidence boost.

Bottom line: Although rather expensive, Go Ape’s exciting activities, beautiful scenery and atmosphere provide an exhilarating and engaging experience for all ages that can help to overcome the dog days of summer.