This poll has ended.

What are your plans for this summer?

Baccalaureate prepares to honor seniors

Class of 2024 puts together event to reflect on time at LT
Ava+Armstrong+24+rehearses+her+speech+for+Baccalaureate+hosted+in+NC+Reber+Center+on+May+19+%28Davis%2FLION%29.+
Ava Armstrong ’24 rehearses her speech for Baccalaureate hosted in NC Reber Center on May 19 (Davis/LION).

On Sunday May 19 at 2 p.m., seniors and family members will be welcomed into the Reber Center to enjoy a class of 2024 reflection. The Baccalaureate is an opportunity for students to reflect on their right of passage and celebrate their achievements, event sponsor Callie Salaymeh said. The theme for this year’s event is “In My Senior Era.” 

“Baccalaureate ceremony is an important aspect of senior year festivities because it represents more than just academic achievement,” Salaymeh said. “It is a celebration of the journey students have gone through, encompassing not only their intellectual growth but also their personal and emotional development. This event allows students, families, and LT staff to reflect on past experiences, acknowledge the effort and dedication invested, and look forward to the future with hope and optimism.” 

The show this year will consist of performances from senior orchestra members, Eurythmics, Varsity Senior Choir, Steppers, Lyons Latin Dancers, Color Guard, and many more. The show also features three emcees: Katarina Neskovic ‘24, Jayla Morgan ‘24, and Avery Jasinski ‘24. 

“[Baccalaureate] is a way to wrap up our high school career,” Jasinski said. “It gives us the opportunity to reminisce over everything we’ve done over the past four years. There’s graduation and prom, but there’s nothing that reflects on how we’ve changed, how we’ve grown, like baccalaureate does.” 

Speech team member Ava Armstrong ‘24 is one of many performing on May 19 and is also a part of the planning team for this year’s show. She will be performing a speech with her older sister who graduated from LT in 2022. 

“I’m excited for my parents and family to see how I’ve grown in high school,” Armstrong said. “I think it [will be] a really good experience to be up there with my sister and see how the audience reacts because our speech is unique, and I feel like it’s different than anything that’s been done before. We talk about our experiences but we also include the audience in our speech to get them thinking about their own lives.” 

Baccalaureate is a free event and all seniors are encouraged to support their peers and celebrate their accomplishments, even if they’re not performing, Salaymeh said. This is Salaymeh’s first year sponsoring this event alongside teacher Darragh Voy.

“I used to be involved in singing, dance, and show choir in high school, so it has been really fun to help put this production together here at LT,” Salaymeh said. “The senior class has so much talent, and I’m excited to see it come together.” 

Even though LT is such a large school, the clubs and activities it has to offer makes everyone feel a part of something, and Baccalaureate is a way to honor that, Armstrong said. 

“Baccalaureate is one last hurrah before we all split paths and do what we want to do,” she said. “It’s really special to reflect and say ‘Thank you, LT, for what you’ve given me, but now it’s time for me to forge my own path.’” 

PHOTO CAPTION Ava Armstrong ‘24 rehearses her speech for Baccalaureate hosted in NC Reber Center on May 19 (Davis/LION).