This poll has ended.

What are your plans for this summer?

Annual M.A.N.E. event showcases student films

LTTV, animation students submit work to be judged at festival
Promotion+for+2024+M.A.N.E+festival%2C+features+student+media+work+%28photo+courtesy+of+Bill+Allan%29.+
Promotion for 2024 M.A.N.E festival, features student media work (photo courtesy of Bill Allan).

Over 10 years ago, M.A.N.E., or Media Arts Night of Entertainment, commenced when LTTV supervisor Bill Allan and art teacher Jamie Rey decided to create a film festival celebrating the works of students, mostly within the LTTV program or in animation classes, Allan said.

M.A.N.E. has since become an annual event in which students submit entries to five-six categories to be reviewed by a panel of judges, who are different each year. On the evening of the event, all of the entries in each category are viewed, and after a brief intermission, the best in each category receives an award. 

“The festival is important because we screen all of the entries,” Allan said. “For the students, the chance to see their videos in the Reber Center is pretty awesome. Everyone who comes out for the festival gets to appreciate the creativity of each of the students who submitted projects, regardless of whether they win the category or not.” 

The festival showcases the hard work of students, and promotes community and creativity overall. 

“The film festival is great for both LT and LTTV students to be inspired by each other’s work as well as looking back on past projects throughout the year, and notice how every student has improved,” LTTV member Jack Crandall ‘24 said. 

Throughout the years, the festival has never been static, Allan said. One year featured a group of Chicago filmmakers as judges, and another featured a group of LTTV alumni who screened one of their recent films, allowing current students to see what they could achieve at the professional level. Yet despite the differences each year, the goal of the event is always the same: to show the community just what LT film students are capable of. 

“It’s just so amazing to see our work on the big screen with a live audience,” LTTV member Annie Price ‘24 said. “I love seeing the reactions of my friends who aren’t a part of LTTV. I get to see how impressed they are with mine and others work. It’s an awesome event for creative people to showcase their work, and be appreciated for it.”

M.A.N.E. will be taking place this year on May 16 from 6-8 p.m. in the NC Reber Center. It is free and open to the public. 

Photo caption: Students view the first-ever M.A.N.E. event in the Reber Center in 2012 (photo courtesy of Bill Allan).

Promotional poster for 2024 M.A.N.E. event (photo courtesy of Bill Allan)