Local, countrywide scholarships up for grabs

College, Career center helps with student applications

College applications can be a hassle, and become even more of a burden when scholarship deadlines draw near. With the main priority being the college itself, scholarships tend to be overlooked, especially local opportunities offered by LT. New application processes give students more opportunities to meet deadlines, and leading the operation is College and Career Advisor Cody Dailey. 

“There is a scholarship truly for everyone here at LT,” Dailey said. “I’m blown away by the generosity of the LT community. We truly have so many local scholarships that students can apply to and choose from. There are a lot of great programs out there through our own backyard which is amazing.”

One returning scholarship from past years is the Niego Brothers scholarship, which was created from LT alumni who graduated college and are now in the workforce, Dailey said. New scholarships are also added year to year which provide even more opportunities for students. 

“Last year we added a sustainability scholarship as well as the Kate Singletary award for students interested in broadcasting and LTTV,” Dailey said. “We also have scholarships for specific academic interests. We have nursing scholarships, business scholarships, scholarships if you want to go into government and law, and scholarships if you want to go into environmental science.”

These specified scholarships can also be applied to fine arts, theater, sports, and music as well as career-oriented paths, Dailey said. A large majority of local scholarship applications were due Feb. 29 with a few exceptions due March 1. Dailey founded the Scholarship Club last year in hopes to give the most information possible to applicants.

“We meet on the first Wednesday of every month in the College and Career Center and talk about upcoming scholarship deadlines for each month,” Dailey said. “We always encourage students to apply early to college, applying by Nov. 1. [Once] you get the college applications off your plate, then you can focus on scholarships.”

Schoolinks, the new college and career platform, offers services to easily discover scholarships, Dailey said. Another database promoted by the club is Goingmerry.com, which provides another opportunity for students to gather necessary information. 

“The college and career center has been a great resource for me and other students,” Mark DeMonte ‘24 said. “Mr. Dailey has even called me into his office to go over scholarships he thinks I should apply for.”

There is a wide array of scholarships for students to look into, Dailey said. He urges students to apply for as many scholarships as they are eligible for, because they do add up quickly. 

“At a bare minimum we offer the LT general scholarship program which is open to graduating seniors,” Dailey said. “There is a scholarship for everyone at LT.”