Annual spring college fair returns

University of Illinois holds presentations due to high demand
Students+walk+through+the+fieldhouse+to+visit+various+college+tables+during+the+2023+fair+%28photo+courtesy+of+Dailey%29.+
Students walk through the fieldhouse to visit various college tables during the 2023 fair (photo courtesy of Dailey).

Returning this year is LT’s annual spring college fair. On March 4, from 6-8 p.m. in the NC Fieldhouse, about 200 colleges from across the country and the globe will set up tables to talk to students and families. 

“[The fair is helpful] for finding a sense of direction on where I’m looking to go [to college], and to [help me] discover new opportunities for my future,” fair attendee Giovanni Paul ‘25 said.

Each year, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) booth faces high demand, college and career counselor Cody Dailey said. In order to combat this, UIUC college representatives will be hosting 15-minute presentations on repeat in a presentation room to inform families about commonly asked questions. 

“Instead of waiting in a big long line, students and families can be in the UIUC presentation room and learn about [the school],” Dailey said. 

In addition to all the schools attending, the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, the State of Illinois’ Financial Aid agency, will assist and answer any questions students and families may have. 

“I would encourage students to definitely stop by the schools that [they] are most interested in, but also stop by some schools they have never heard of,” Dailey said. “Sometimes we focus solely on the schools we’ve heard of, but I have actually had a bunch of students in the past find a great fit at a school they didn’t even know existed prior.”

Paul looks forward to visiting various schools at the fair.

“While there are schools I am excited to hear about, I am also going to wander and visit different schools,” Paul said. “I want to check out all of the different options that are available when it comes to my college search.”

LT will be utilizing Strivescan, an online program that allows students to create their own personal profiles to easily share a little about who they are with college representatives. Colleges can also send information about their school to students through the program. 

“[In order to be best prepared for the fair] go in with a game plan,” Dailey said. “Sometimes students just wing it, but trust me, walking into the fieldhouse where there are 200 tables set up is going to be a very overwhelming experience no matter who you are.”

Tables will be set up alphabetically, Dailey said. It can be helpful to circle all of the schools you want to visit on the program. If you are coming with family members or friends, it is also a good idea to divide and conquer to hit all the schools you hope to.

“If I could give students one word of advice, it’s to get engaged in this process [and to] be active in this process,” Dailey said. “If you learn one thing about a school that night, it was beneficial to you.”