Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

LT hosts Black History Month Presentation

Aims to promote unity and belonging

On Feb. 23, throughout the school day, LT students and staff will have the opportunity to view several different presentations given by a variety of artists, along with a performance by the LT Steppers, all celebrating Black History Month. 

There will be 14 different shows presented, Director of Equity and Belonging Jennifer Rowe said. For example, during the first period there will be a show taking place at SC and at NC. That way, if kids have multiple teachers taking them to the shows, they’ll get to see a variety of different artists perform each time. 

These artists and presenters will give specific presentations ranging from African drum and dance, a musician who fuses Classical and Hip Hop genres, and a DJ who brings together poetry and music. 

“Being in the classroom is wonderful, but sometimes building those connections and having that opportunity to showcase what you’re talking about in your classes is so worth your time,” Rowe said. “I’ve had teachers share their experiences with bringing their students [to this presentation] and how it impacted their classes. Because again, some students may not experience something like this outside of school and so we’re getting them to experience that here and that, to me, is what school is about.”

Students will have the opportunity to learn about how all fields are accessible to them,  such as the field of video games, in one of the 14 presentations, one of the presenters Jewel Ifeguni said. They will also learn about how to build a career in technology and video games, along with her personal experiences with racism in the technology field. 

“I’m excited for the students to learn how they can translate their stories into films or conversations to uplift each other,” Ifeguni said. “I hope that others are empowered to build their own destiny and recognize that they have the power to determine the impact they want to leave on this world.”

This event is centered around joy to create excitement for the audience, MC and student Madison Ferrell ‘24 said. There will be many moments for people to get excited about and learn from these presenters.

“I think that this program is important because it’s really the first and only time black students are widely acknowledged throughout the school year,” Ferrell said. “I believe the presenters this year will help us feel seen.”