LT recognizes nine National Merit Semi-Finalists

30 more students are named National Merit commended
National+Merit+Semi-finalists+pose+for+photo+on+Oct.+11%2C+at+honorary+breakfast.+Back+row+%28from+left+to+right%29%3A+Ella+Maciasz+%E2%80%9824%2C+Mark+DeMonte+%E2%80%9824%2C+Nicholas+Strayer+%E2%80%9824%2C+Joseph+Stetler+%E2%80%9824%2C+Abigail+Saunders+%E2%80%9824.+Front+row%3A+Miriam+Buterman+%E2%80%9824%2C+Greta+Sandman+%E2%80%9824%2C+Cali+Hendricks+%E2%80%9824%2C+Ashlin+Kwong+%E2%80%9824.+
National Merit Semi-finalists pose for photo on Oct. 11, at honorary breakfast. Back row (from left to right): Ella Maciasz ‘24, Mark DeMonte ‘24, Nicholas Strayer ‘24, Joseph Stetler ‘24, Abigail Saunders ‘24. Front row: Miriam Buterman ‘24, Greta Sandman ‘24, Cali Hendricks ‘24, Ashlin Kwong ‘24.

Every year, seniors are considered for the National Merit program based off of PSAT scores from the previous year. On Sept. 13, nine current seniors were honored as National Merit Semi-Finalists, and another 30 were named National Merit commended. Those commended are among the top percentage of test scorers nationally, College and Career Center counselor Cody Daily said. 

“Being National Merit commended, semi-finalist, or finalist is a huge accomplishment,” Daily said. “It shows colleges that the students are academically gifted, and that their course work has prepared them for college classes.” 

Over 1.5 million students nationwide entered the National Merit program as juniors. However, only 16,000 academically talented seniors qualified for semi-finalist nationwide. Those named semi-finalists represent less than 1% of the state’s graduating class. 

“I was super excited to be nominated as a National Merit Semi-Finalist,” Greta Sandman ‘24 said. “It’s a great thing to put on college applications as it’s something unique and it’s a good indicator of my academic abilities.” 

Sandman is very active in the school community as co-president of Theater Board, a member of choir and Madrigals, as well as a performer in the Eurythmic Dance Company. She is looking forward to attending a four-year university to study engineering after graduating in the spring. 

“[My goal] is to find a job in the STEM field where I can help people,” Sandman said. “I’m excited to combine my passion for helping people and the environment, with my love of math and science.” 

Like Sandman, semi-finalist Cali Henricks ‘24, has a love for physics and is looking forward to studying in engineering physics programs or applied physics programs after graduating. Hendricks is also greatly involved in extracurriculars as she is a part of Robotics Club, president of both Model UN and of the Math Team. 

“I was a little bit worried [initially], since I thought [the test] didn’t go as well as the PSAT10 from sophomore year,” Hendricks said. “I was really excited when I got the news that my score was still good enough to qualify for national semi-finalist.” 

Hendricks had taken the SAT and ACT multiple times prior to the PSAT last fall. Her middle school had a program that allowed middle schoolers to take the real SAT and ACT, she said. It gave her practice with standardized testing and how to prepare for them. 

“My family was super happy and excited for me [when they found out I was a semi-finalist],” Hendricks said. “They were also really supportive and helpful with my application to qualify for [National Merit] Finalist.” 

In order to become a National Merit Finalist, the semi-finalists had to submit an application around mid October, Hendricks said. Similar to a college application, the application includes their school transcript, questions about extracurriculars, as well as an essay. National Merit Finalists will then be announced January of 2024.