Eurythmic Dance Company hosts showcase

Yearly NC performance occurs in Reber Center

Eurythmic dancers face the audience waving a hand in the air.

Myrna Cross, InDepth Editor

Every year, the Eurythmic Dance Company hosts a performance at the end of the school year to showcase the dancers’ hard work and dedication to their sport. This year, the dancers performed on May 4-6. 

Every Eurythmics show has a theme, and this year the show’s title was “Heimet.” This German word translates to “the place that makes us what we are.” 

“[Heimet] is a great representation of Eury,” coach Brittany Smith said. “Eurythmics is a place where dancers get to share their passion and creativity and get to develop their craft. All the dancers work so hard to create the show, they are more like a family.” 

Although some past shows have been held outside due to COVID-19 restrictions, this year’s show was hosted in the Reber Center at NC. 

“Each year’s show is a little different since the choreographers create original works each year,” Smith said. “We do have some traditions that we do each year, but we leave those as a surprise for the audiences.” 

The dances are choreographed by members of the troupe. Choreographers have to go through an audition process to get their dances into the show, Smith said. The whole company has input on what is in the show. Sometimes the directors have choreographers change their music, add props or set designs to give the show more variety.

One of the many talented choreographers of this year’s showcase is Amanda Noonan ‘24, who has been performing in the Eurythmics shows since she was a freshman.

She picked a lyrical dance to “Lose You to Love Me” by Selena Gomez, accompanied by four other dancers, Noonan said. It’s about realizing that you can get over someone by being your own person without them. 

“I like that it’s an opportunity to dance at school,” Noonan said. “I love the new friends that I’ve made, and I’ve gotten a lot closer to some of my peers.”  

Liza Shorrock ‘26 is one of the 10 freshmen who was featured in this year’s Eurythmic showcase. 

“It feels like such an honor to be part of the show,” Shorrock said. “I’ve gone to the show ever since I was 3 years old, so now that I’m in it I am so happy. Being one of the youngest, I look up to the upperclassmen so much.” 

The show included interesting concepts for the dances, cool light effects, and lots of fun, she said. Everyone had a balance of great dance techniques and creativity. 

“Being in the show this year, I get to really see the hard work that goes into it behind the scenes,” Shorrock said. “Watching the dances go from being a small idea to being on stage is a really cool process, and to be a part of it is so amazing.”