Sophomores host WLTL show, podcast

Create content through Youtube, Instagram

Faces of Ethan Meuer ‘25 and Leo Barrette ‘25 photoshopped on a picture of Marty McFly and Dr. Emmett Brown from “Back To The Future,” to promote their radio show (photo courtesy of Meuer).

Cooper Anderson, InDepth Editor

From the very beginning of his freshman year, Ethan Meuer ‘25 became involved in WLTL and had a radio show of his own. After bringing his childhood best friend Leo Barrette ‘25 on his show as a permanent guest second semester, they realized their on-air chemistry was something special. The following year, “The Leo and Ethan Show” was born. 

“The Leo and Ethan Show” is a two-hour-long show where Meuer and Barrette play their current favorite songs every eight to 12 minutes, incorporating talk breaks in between. They pride themselves in discussing topics most radio hosts would not talk about, Meuer said. 

“Similar to Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza, Ethan and I always just talk about things with each other and philosophize a lot, so we just thought that our conversations could make a decent radio show,” Barrette said.

As for content creation, Meuer and Barrette created recurring weekly segments that are unique and special for their show. These range from obscure animal hour, national day talk, recent movie reviews, or even toothpaste conservation tips. Besides these segments, however, the show hosts refrain from over-preparing and simply go with the flow of the conversation, allowing them to showcase their real conversations, Barrette said. 

“We talk about things that would make the average random listener think, ‘Wow, that’s not something a normal radio station would mention,’ and hopefully they stay a while,” Meuer said. 

The friendship of Meuer and Barrette dates all the way back to their early elementary school days, with them living only a few blocks away from each other. Since they live in such close proximity, it gives them endless opportunities to brainstorm new creative ideas, and film videos for the Youtube channel of the same name, featuring videos such as “The Honey Bunches of Oats Conspiracy” or “The Informant” trailer. 

The pair has also used various forms of social media to promote their show too, with their Instagram page, @the.leo.and.ethan.show, being their main source where they give weekly updates, potential cancellations, announce special guests, or hype up their content, Meuer said. 

As for right now, Meuer and Barrette share the same goal for their beloved radio show, which is to keep being creative and maintain the show for the following years at LT.

“‘The Leo and Ethan Show’ will ideally burn bright for the next two years, and then eventually vanish with a flourish as we transform into LT alumni,” Meuer said. 

‘The Leo and Ethan Show’ is on air on WLTL 88.1 FM every Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. For more information on their specific content, keep up with them on their social media.