WLTL holds their biggest fundraiser of the year

Plans marathon broadcast on 88.1 station

Tommy+Riordan+%E2%80%9824+shown+on+the+Rockathon+promotional+poster+

Tommy Riordan ‘24 shown on the Rockathon promotional poster

Sadie Ruppert, Reporter

For 88.1 hours (a nod to the radio station’s frequency), LT’s radio station, WLTL will be live on air and fundraising for their Rockathon event. This is one of the largest fundraisers of any LT club or sports team. The radio broadcast began on Feb. 17 at 6 a.m., and will end on Feb. 19 around 10 p.m. All of the students involved in WLTL and Rockathon prepared for this for nearly three months, and are very excited for it to begin, general manager and WLTL faculty advisor Christopher Thomas said. 

“Rockathon is a great opportunity for students to become more involved in WLTL,” Thomas said. “They are able to contribute to the station, and raise money for new facilities and broadcasting equipment.”

Around 50 students will have been involved and on-air by the end of the Rockathon event, Thomas said. They have all worked hard to brainstorm ideas to make this year’s event unique and successful.

“Rockathon kind of forces students to get creative and do new things that they haven’t tried before during their shows,” Thomas said. “They all worked hard to prepare for it, and really believe in and benefit from WLTL and Rockathon as a whole.” 

WLTL hopes to raise $25,000 from Rockathon, and have partnered with local businesses, prepared fun challenges in order to receive donations, and plan to auction merchandise bundles and various different concert tickets, Anna Cassioppi ‘23 said. 

“We tried to come up with things that will really get people’s attention, and get them to tune in and donate during the event,” Cassioppi said. “A lot of kids will try to do crazy things or fun challenges while on air to receive donations. ”

The students who are involved in Rockathon are very motivated and driven by their fundraising goal, and want to come up with ways to improve the event and station, Cassioppi said.

“Everyone on WLTL really loves it, and is passionate about it,” she said. “We’re all united by the fundraiser, because the money that we raise will benefit everyone, and help us to keep doing what we’re doing.”

Rather than having multiple smaller fundraisers throughout the year, Rockathon is the main fundraiser that WLTL holds, Cassioppi said. 

“Rockathon is just a big celebration of our station,” Cassioppi said.

Rockathon can be listened to on the 88.1 radio station, or on the Audacy radio app. Broadcasting video will be streamed on Twitch, or at wltl.net/watch.