Friday Night-In continues at Corral after flood

Students come together to play various games,

+Evan+Salerno+%E2%80%9825+hits+his+pool+shoot+on+Jan.+27+at+the+Corral+%28Burke%2FLION%29.%0A

Evan Salerno ‘25 hits his pool shoot on Jan. 27 at the Corral (Burke/LION).

Molly Burke, Sports Editor

As an event that began in 2018, Friday Night-In continues to provide students with an opportunity to take advantage of all that the Corral has to offer for its fifth year, Director of Student Activities Peter Geddeis said.

The idea of the Friday Night-In was first suggested when a former LT student and part-time employee wanted to find a way for students to feel more included at the school. Due to COVID-19, Friday Night-Ins were paused in 2020 and 2021, as well as a number of events, but slowly returned at the start of the school year in 2022.

“Friday Night-In is a safe and supervised activity that students can attend with friends,” Geddeis said. “Many games and activities are included, and occasionally, special performers or events [occur] to distinguish each night.”

Francis Casiple ‘25 first began attending Friday Night-In his freshman year when his friend invited him to the Corral. He was blown away with all the fun activities that were available to him, he said. 

“Typically I go to the Corral every Friday that I can and I keep on going because of the awesome atmosphere–it feels like you’ve traveled back in time to the ‘80’s when you go in,” Casiple said. “What makes this event so special is hanging out with all the people who regularly attend.”

In October of 2022, the Corral was closed down due to flooding which canceled Friday Night-Ins, as well as all the other activities held in the Corral, for a period of time.

“The water caused minor damage to the space and forced the Corral to close down temporarily to make sure everything was clean and safe to use again,” Corral manager Paul Godinho said. “It only took a little over a week to clean up, so the following week everything was back in place.”

As Corral manager, Godinho supervises Friday Night-Ins and is finding the next steps to improve this event, including incorporating LT’s talented students in various ways, like bands playing and battle of the DJ’s, he said. Putting together different types of tournaments with the games in the Corral is another way he thinks the Corral will attract students.

“There’s just so much to do here,” Evan Salerno ‘25 said. “We have a pinball machine, ping-pong tables, a foosball table, shuffleboard and so much more.”

Anyone is welcome to attend the next Friday Night-In, which will be held on Feb. 17, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Corral.