Students host ‘Star Wars’ show

Weekly discussion begins of recent news related to series

From left: Mike Badrov ’24 and Drew Grech ’24 converse on the set of their talk show on Nov. 17, produced through LTTV (Pohl/Lion)

Scarlett Lestina, Managing Editor

Thursday nights are famously associated with football, but Drew Grech ‘24, Mike Badrov ‘24, and Angus Allan ‘24 are focused on recording “Tusken Radio,” a “Star Wars”-based talk show for LTTV, Badrov said. After a series of edits, it is released on LTTV’s YouTube channel, LTTVonline, the following night or Saturday morning at the latest.

“When we record episodes, it doesn’t feel like work,” Grech said. “It feels like these are just conversations I was already having with friends, but now they’re on camera. Thursday nights have quickly become one of my favorite parts of the week.”

“Tusken Radio” was a podcast before it became a talk show produced on LTTV. Hosted by Grech for the past three years, LTTV advisor Bill Allan, pitched the idea to Gretch to bring “Tusken Radio” to a full fledged video recorded show, Grech said. It has since become the first studio show to be produced in the LTTV studio post-pandemic.

The show typically features the three boys, but if one of them can’t attend a shoot, a guest star will be brought on, Badrov said. Grech hosted a German exchange student who got to have a guest appearance on the show.

“I really enjoy talking about ‘Star Wars,’” Badrov said. “‘Star Wars’ has been a part of my life for as [long] as I can remember so the fact that I get to talk about it and share it with my friends, I’m really grateful for it.”

While the first “Star Wars” film came out in 1977, the franchise has not stopped producing content to discuss. Most recently, a TV series on Disney+, “Andor,” is the topic of review. It is a prequel to “Rogue One” and follows a thief turned Rebel spy leading up to the events that take place in “Rogue One.” However, the boys don’t only talk about “Star Wars,” they also incorporate new ideas to keep the show interesting.

“We’ll do something called ‘evergreen segments’ where we go out after school and film other segments about ‘Star Wars,’” Badrov said. “We did a pumpkin carving one for Halloween where we carved ‘Star Wars’ characters [into] pumpkins and another one we did was we found a ‘Star Wars’ cookbook and started making ‘Star Wars’ dishes.”

There have been 10 released episodes as of Dec. 15, varying in length anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes, Badrov said. Averaging roughly 150 views per episode, the boys are looking to increase their viewership by recording live on Wednesday nights so their review pops up first when searched.

“I feel incredibly fulfilled through the show,” Grech said. “It’s so much fun and having these weekly discussions with my friends is incredible.”