Reber Center hosts autumn talent show

Students sing, perform at rebranded variety show

A capella Club sets the stage for the first-ever talent show in the Reber Center (Pohl/LION)

Reagan Pohl, Reporter

LT’s first-ever talent show was held in the Reber Center on Nov. 18. The program was once known as the variety show in past years, however, it was renamed as a talent show by students this year. The show included performances from bands, dancing, singing, and other acts. The show was free of admission but was accepting donations in support of LT’s Secret Santa program. 

Abbey Quinn ‘23, the show’s producer, was in charge of recruiting talent from around LT. Quinn also helped facilitate the rebranding of the show in order to gain more attention from students.

“I told Mr. [John] Musick that I thought the ‘variety show’ was a boring name and that the cliché of a ‘talent show’ would bring more students in,” Quinn said. “We rebranded it to get more auditions and students that seemed interested.” 

One of the talent event’s advisors, Gary Morrill, had aspirations to resurrect the talent show and increase student participation.

“This used to be a show where we had about 60 different acts between two nights,” Morrill said. “Since that time, obviously we’ve had [COVID-19] which has slowed things down a lot. We’re trying to bring it back.”  

This year’s program included various solo performers, including Sammy Kogan’s ’23 yo-yo act and Naomi Kallemeyn’s ‘25 dance routine. In addition, LT organizations such as Acapella Club, Steppers, and Madrigals shared the spotlight during the show. 

“It’s so great to have a well-spirited comrade,” Quinn said. 

Acapella club member, Claire Ernandes ‘23, expressed her excitement to have been involved in LT’s first talent show of the school year.

“I loved how everyone was so supportive and how the audience was so attentive,” Ernandes said. “It made me feel special and so happy to be involved in one of LT’s activities.” 

Quinn expressed her admiration for students who were willing to get in front of a large audience and perform their talents. 

“It’s so difficult to do, the nerves messing with the performance and not knowing what the people in the crowd might say,” Quinn said. “Getting through that is a huge reward.” 

There were a total of 21 separate acts and almost a 100 students who conquered their nerves and braved the challenge of being on stage to entertain the Reber Center audience with their unique talents.

“I enjoy the joy of the kids who are performing and the look on their faces when they realize they did a great job,” Morrill said. “I think I enjoy that more than anything.”