Choir performs senior citizen holiday concert

Appreciates local elderly

Student carolers perform a holiday concert for local senior citizens. The event was held during the school day in the Reber Center on Dec. 2 (O’Brien/LION).

Elin O'Brien, Reporter

After the Fall Kickoff concert on Sept. 20, the choir began preparations for their annual Senior Citizen Holiday Concert and Reception in late September. Prior to this concert, they also had their annual Fanfares and Carols Concert on Dec. 1, Connor Sandman ‘23 said. The choir performed their Senior Citizens Holiday Concert and Reception on Dec 2. in the Reber Center at 11 a.m. 

“Our Senior Citizen Concert and Reception is essentially a dry run of the songs we’ll be performing at Fanfare and Carols Concert,” Sandman said. 

They sing their normal array of songs in addition to some holiday carols. The choir incorporated the holiday aspect to the concert by singing carols, wearing Santa hats, and performing other holiday music, director John Musick said. 

“It’s a great way for us to practice our repertoire and make an impact on the older community,” Sandman said. “All the attendees that come love it; it’s a great way for them to get involved in the community and our music programs.” 

The choir wanted to reach out to the community members to show appreciation and connections to one another which they did through email invitations, Musick said.

“It’s a great use of the school using their resources to reach out and make as much of an impact on the community that they can, ” Sandman said. “This is a great way for us to work with people and create relationships with people in our community that most kids at this age don’t have the opportunity to do.”

If the opportunity presented itself, the choir would love to perform additional concerts for the older generations during the holiday season, Musick said. 

Aside from the fall and winter concerts, the choir also performs in talent shows, karaoke nights, Christmas walks in La Grange, and travels to the various middle schools to perform, Musick said.

“Music is a great way for people to get involved in the Lyons Township community and our music program that we have here,” Sandman said.