LT Theater Board produces ‘Shop Around The Corner’

Students perform classic romantic comedy in PAC

From left to right: Michael Guzman ‘23, Grace Simmon ‘24, and Milo Guevara ‘24 in the first act of the play (Lazich/LION)

Kathryn Lazich, Reporter

From Oct. 20-22, LT Theatre Board put on a production of “Shop Around the Corner” in the PAC at 7 p.m. each night. 

The play is a romantic comedy resembling the modern-day film “You’ve Got Mail,” and is about two co-workers who can not stand one another, actress Cassidy Monti ‘23 said. The irony to it all is that they do not realize they are falling in love with each other anonymously through letters.

“It’s not often that we do on-stage old-fashioned romantic comedy,” director Lawrence Keller said. “This is one of those shows where you just hopefully leave feeling better than you did when you walked into the theater.”

The cast prepared for the production of the show since the beginning of September with rehearsals running between two to three hours. At rehearsals, the actors learned more about their characters and how they wanted to portray them. 

“A really early thing you have to deal with after you get a part is deciding which way you want to play the character,” actress Grace Simmon ‘24 said. “In my first read of the script, my character Amalia came off more reserved, and that’s not what I wanted to bring out in the role. So finding ways to bring out more fight and character was a challenge for me.”

The theater department has also seen some new faces within this cast, such as Milo Guevara ‘24 starring as one of the leads. Guevara did various theatrical performances in his youth, but took a break from the spotlight in high school to join the swim and water polo teams. Since returning to theater, Guevara has expressed how his experience has been extremely positive. 

“It’s very refreshing to be back in theater,” Guevara said. “I definitely missed it, and I love doing my sports, but there’s just something fun about theater.”

In previous years, LT’s fall play would usually take place in the Reber Center, but this year, the directors purposefully chose to host it in the PAC to give it a more intimate feel. 

“We felt that if you [have] 150 people in the Reber [Center], it feels like a thin audience, but if you put that many people in the PAC, it feels like ‘Okay, here’s an audience that’s looking forward to sharing this experience,’” Keller said.