Associate Principal Kevin Brown to retire after 14 years at LT

NC associate principal reflects on journey as part of school administration

Kevin Brown stands outside of the clocktower doors (Kowalski/LION).

Evelyn Kowalski, Editor-in-Chief

Kevin Brown, the master of the behind-the-scenes of NC, progresses into his 14th and final year as an Associate Principal at LT, capping himself at 32 years served in education. 

Brown is responsible for the operations and ultimately making calls if and when Principal Jennifer Tyrrell is not available. He started as a physics and math teacher at Kankakee High School (KHS) in 1990 and 11 years later, he became the assistant principal. From 2004 to 2009 he was the assistant principal of student services at York High School, and then joined LT in July 2009 as the Associate Principal of NC. 

A large part of Brown’s role are functions that typically go unnoticed, which is the goal, he said. 

“It’s like going to a concert,” Brown said. “You don’t care about the sound guy until the sound doesn’t work. That’s my job.”

Along with others, Brown organizes the master schedule for the school year, such as class organization, including: scheduling conflicts, what rooms are utilized, and fitting people into classrooms. He also oversees the facilities, such as working with the building and grounds department on concerns and improvements. 

Mr. Brown’s impact on LT has been immeasurable,” English teacher Bradley Anderson said. “His congenial disposition and his warmth toward everyone in the building [helps] create a much more welcoming and caring environment. He sees people as humans first, then as colleagues and students.”

This year, some initiatives Brown has worked on include being a part of the Building Leadership Team, which aims to improve the safety and security of the school. Additionally, he works alongside staff and members of the community on the “Inspire LT” strategic planning committee that began in the spring of 2022. 

“After being a teacher for 11 years, and then taking an administrative role, what I find satisfying now is, I hope at least, that our teachers and our faculty members feel like I respect them,” Brown said. “I respect them, and I see them as those heroes who are connecting with our students.” 

Superintendent Brian Waterman has worked with Brown for seven years as principal, and is now going on two years as his superintendent. 

“To put it simply, Mr. Brown’s legacy at LTHS is all about the friendships and positive relationships he has cultivated with students, families, staff, and community members,” Waterman said. “The servant-leadership style he brings to his work is appreciated by all, and he has had a tremendous positive impact on LT during his career as Associate Principal at [NC].”

A more major project that Brown worked with others on was in 2014, when the school remodeled the NC lunchroom to facilitate four lunch periods rather than five. He worked with other teachers and administrators to create a lunch study hall system that allowed students to have 25 minute study halls for half of their lunch periods. Not only did he work with staff to create a lunch study hall system, but they also created the lunch study academic support room programs, which has led to the creation of drop-in centers, testing centers, and Student Assistants in the support rooms. 

“[Brown] always says hello in the hallway and makes it clear that if I ever need something I could go to him,” Student Council President Zaden Hickenbottom ‘23 said. “He never fails to have a smile on his face and LT is lucky to have him. It has been a pleasure working with him.”

Soon after retiring in June 2023, Brown primarily plans on traveling the country with his wife, he said. Regarding more long term plans, he would like to work on home renovation projects such as building furniture or flipping houses.

“I know I’ll miss the people and the warmth of [LT],” Brown said. “I can see and feel that I’m part of a team. [The staff] are my heroes as well. If I have one hope, it is that they have sensed my respect and my affection for them and what they do.”