Dungeons & Dragons Club expands size

Student interest increases in role-playing game

Elin O'Brien, Reporter

Since the 2019 school year, Dungeons and Dragons (DnD) has reached an all time high of 40 active members. The club promoted itself at co-circular night on Aug. 24, and filled three full sign-up pages with possible interest from students. 

“My favorite part is just being there and seeing everyone because usually it’s not a super popular thing,” Josh Langan ‘23 said. “Now having a big community of people that play the game is really exciting.”

The founder, Kat Farley ‘23, along with Langan, gathered a group of students to ask LTTV advisor Bill Allan, who has been playing DnD from a young age, to be the advisor of the club and help facilitate the meetings. The group of students went to Allan multiple times asking him to advise, and once the green light was given, the next phase was to figure out how the club was going to operate.

“I want to make it educational, and not just me babysitting a bunch of kids playing the game,” Allan said.

The group brainstormed and figured out a system to operate educational meetings, and had its first meeting after Thanksgiving Break of the 2019-2020 school year, Allan said. Up until the closing of schools due to COVID-19, the club reached up to 35 members. Once schools closed in March of 2020, the club played online all through virtual and hybrid learning.

“More kids joined, and at one point, they had nine separate games online playing at one time, which was really awesome,” Allan said.

DnD then came together in person in the fall of 2021. With the increase of kids, there were not enough Dungeon Masters (DMs), the leader of the game who creates the story and the narrative, forcing the club to host DM training, teaching members who wanted to pursue that role. 

The club has gotten a wide range of students, Allan said. Some who are extremely artistic and enjoy drawing, while others who are interested in math, and even those interested in English creating the narrative for the game. 

“We created a system where any kid can join and have fun making the club interchangeable,” Allan said. “The club has really evolved and being back this year has been awesome.”

The club meets on Wednesdays after school at 3:15 in the North Campus Lower Library.