League of Women Voters of La Grange Area promote gubernatorial primary

Encourage voting among young people

Evelyn Kowalski, Reporter

The League of Women Voters of the La Grange Area (LWVLGA) has strived to increase voter participation and education for 98 years. They serve not only La Grange, but surrounding areas such as Brookfield, Western Springs, Indian Head Park, Countryside, among others. 

Traditionally, the league does at least one registration event at LT per school year, in the NC lunchroom or library. In the fall of 2021, they were able to register around 370 LT students to vote. They have been successful creating events in coordination with Social Studies Division Chair Paul Houston.

“[The LWVLGA] have been a tremendously positive influence in providing resources, support, and most importantly volunteers,” Houston said. “It has led to LT being recognized by the Cook County Clerk’s Office for exceptional voter registration turnout.”

Currently, the focus of the local league is encouraging voters towards the gubernatorial primary, taking place on June 28. The primary holds elections for the Illinois governor’s race, congressional positions, and local standings. 

To aid the process of voter registration and education, the league has recently designed an online Illinois Voter Guide (https://illinoisvoterguide.org/). This guide informs all voters on registering to vote, registration status, upcoming elections, upcoming candidate forums, and more. 

Candidate forums give candidates the opportunity to provide information on their positions to voters, regardless of how much campaign money they have, co-president of the LWVLGA Lara Taylor said. For the last two years, the forums have been held on Zoom, which helps with accessibility for all. 

There are several upcoming forums that can be found on the Voter Guide, including a Republican Governors’ Primary forum on June 2. 

The League emphasizes non-partisanship, and provides education to everyone as equally as possible. They strive for not only further voter education, but recognition of personal voting rights and accessibility, Taylor said. 

“Teens are really interested in the world around them, they have a lot of concerns,” Taylor said. “Those concerns are all influenced at the governor’s level and the state level. Voting is the most important way to have your voice and your concerns heard, at those state levels, where decisions are being made.”