Eurythmic company hosts performances

returns to indoor stage with ‘Metamorphosis’ show

Rehearsal of “We’re Alone Now” piece choreographed by Niki Chronis ’22 and Charlotte Remijas ’22 in Reber Center on May 5 in preparation for show (Wolf/LION).

Maddie Gee, Reporter

It had been two years since Eurythmic Dance Company held a show in the Reber Center, EDC technical director Colleen Gibbons said. Now, after not having a performance in 2020 and only an outdoor show in 2021 due to COVID-19, the team prepared for a return to their traditional stage. 

Sophia Atseff ‘22, recalls the difference between an outdoor stage and the Reber Center performance that occurred three years ago. 

“Last year, there were many unknowns, like if someone were to drive by blasting music and [other] things you can’t control,” Atseff said. “Of course, there were trials and tribulations, like rainy weather, but it felt almost like a festival.”

Performances occurred this year on the nights of May 5, 6, and 7 at 7 p.m. in the Reber Center, director Brittney Smith said. Each year is unique when considering a creative show title, as some dances related to the “Metamorphosis” theme of this year. The title mainly encapsulated feelings of the time. The theme may be interpreted differently among audience members, and is not directly the basis of each choreographed piece. 

Smith was appreciative of the return, and saw performers embracing the opportunity for a typical show. 

“We definitely looked forward to not having to build a theater,” Smith said. “Most of these kids had their first traditional indoor performance in all of their high school years, which was unbelievable.” 

The ability for students to create and choreograph their own dances in Eurythmics is unlike any other dance company Atseff has been with since she first started dancing at around 3 years old, she said. Around 95% of the pieces in the show were choreographed by the Eurythmic dancers. 

“It’s very different, yet interesting to see your peers’ choreography, and see them in a light that you normally wouldn’t in a typical classroom setting,” Atseff said. “It broadened my scope of how many aspects there are to dance.”

Atseff’s own choreography was displayed by 20 students who danced to a Lorde-mashup track, compared to her four-person piece last year, she said.

“The love of Eurythmics really radiates from the stage and when you love something like that, it just makes it so much better,” Atseff said. “It’s a little scary but exciting to see how people perceive your choreography; it’s like it’s my brain that’s on display.”

The dancers adapted well to the changes and challenges that arose, and were dedicated to keeping up the success of the previous shows, Gibbons said. 

“Last year, people were fighting for tickets, and we were so excited that we could do something,” Gibbons said. “So, we wanted to make sure that this one was just as awesome, and it definitely had that ‘wow’ factor.”