Junior produces short film

Pursues passion through ‘Talent’s Crime’

Poster for Talents Crime

Poster for ‘Talent’s Crime’

Rory Quealy, News Editor, Web Editor

Mia Sekulovski ’23 has loved making videos since she was just 8 years old, she said. Filming, editing on iMovie, and posting on her YouTube channel have been some of her favorite parts. Now, as a junior, she is working to produce her first film. 

“I’m really excited,” Sekuloski said. “I’ve always been passionate about this. I feel like my ideas are really unique and different. I think [the film] can be really inspirational.”

The film is titled “Talent’s Crime,” and will depict two dancers at a talent show, Sekulovski said. One will be a ballet dancer and the other a hip-hop dancer. The two dancers will be in competition for the spotlight and will dance head-to-head. 

Sekulovski’s primary inspiration for the film is her love for music, she said. The idea for the dance came when she was listening to piano-style music. 

“[For] me, music is everything,” Sekulovski said. “When I listen to music, the ideas start coming into my head.”

Sekulovski worked closely with LTTV teacher Bill Allen throughout the writing process, she said. Allen helped Sekulovski learn how to write a script and integrate selections of music into scenes. 

Sekulovski will hold auditions throughout February, which she advertised on posters hung throughout the school, she said. The posters contain a QR code that links to a google form to sign up. She also recruited dancers by reaching out to Columbia College Chicago and local dance studios. 

Olivia Kasza ’23 will be portraying the hip-hop dancer. Kasza has been dancing for just under five years, at Thrive Center for Dance located in Indian Head Park, and has studied a variety of different styles including ballet, jazz, hip-hop and contemporary, she said. 

“I love being a part of this project,” Kasza said. “[Sekulovski] is so motivational and she is so passionate about film.” 

After the rest of the roles are cast, the filming will commence, Sekulovski said. She will direct the scenes and edit the footage herself using Adobe Premier. Sekulovski plans to release the film sometime this year and hopes to host a showing for the film premiere.

Sekulovski intends to continue pursuing her passion after high school and is looking to study film in college, she said. 

“I definitely want to make more TV shows and movies in the future,” Sekulovski said. “I have a bunch of ideas and I want to continue being creative.”