New English course offered at NC

Works to highlight marginalized voices, shifts away from Eurocentric focus

Abe Morales, News Editor, Multimedia Editor

The new Multicultural American Literature course was introduced at the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year. It is a one semester prep-course that is available to seniors both semesters. The course was created and is taught by Nikita Hulbert at NC.  

“I remember when I was in high school there were many courses available for students, and one of my favorite courses was African American Literature,” Hulbert said. When [LT] started to provide seniors with more options for courses, I thought it would be beneficial to have a course like this available. The course we have now has evolved from an idea I proposed in 2002.”

The course is centered around highlighting marginalized voices through a variety of different mediums, Hulbert said. Students read texts, like “Drinking Coffee Elsewhere”–a story that highlights prejudices–poems, plays, and watch short videos to analyze and understand the material.  

“This course gives students permission to be fully human,” Hulbert said. “It really provides students [the ability] to discover, recognize, celebrate and appreciate their full range of humanity, and that doesn’t just mean race and ethnicity. It targets their complete story, not just one perception of it.” 

A total of 27 students are enrolled in Multicultural American Literature for this current semester, including Rami Jameel ’22. 

“My counselor enrolled me in this course and I originally didn’t mean to take it, however, I am so glad to be part of this class,” Jameel said. “I think students will be pleasantly surprised by the material they learn in this class, because it exposes them to different perspectives they wouldn’t have encountered otherwise.”

Despite the course being new this year, it functions like a well established course, Jameel said. 

“I want everyone to know that this course is not for a particular person—it is for everyone. Our classroom is diverse in so many ways, and we create an environment where everyone can learn from each other.”