SC theatre to perform play ‘The Wizard of Oz’

Anticipation grows as opening night approaches

Cooper Anderson, Reporter

On Nov. 11-13, many freshmen and sophomore actors will be making their on-stage debut at LT with their production of  “The Wizard of Oz.” The director of this production, Kirsten Manthei, was especially determined to produce a live show this year with COVID-19 regulations easing up. 

After a full year of shows through Zoom, these students are eager to return to live theatre, while performing a story that many know and love, Manthei said. 

“I know that last year was so difficult for everyone, and one of the challenges was the fact that we were stuck inside,” Manthei said. “I wanted to direct a show that would enable families an opportunity to see a play.”

Although the recent in-person shows have brought back a sense of normality to the LT community, COVID-19 precautions continue to be in full effect throughout this process, with mask-wearing being a new and important aspect of live theatre. Masks are worn during all rehearsals and will continue to be worn for all performances, Manthei said.

“I was worried that the masks would limit the actors in terms of expressions and sound, but [the students] are really doing a great job even with masks,” said Manthei. “We will be incorporating a lot of fun costumes, so hopefully the audience won’t even notice the masks.”

Despite the show only needing 17 roles, due to an increase in students who tried out, 23 people were cast in the production. Rehearsals were held everyday, with some being only for specific characters. Students with lead roles had around three to four rehearsals per week. Included in the cast is Natalie Halm ‘24, who is playing the role of Dorothy. 

“A really exciting moment was when we got to practice on the PAC stage for the first time,” Halm said. “It felt real.”

Halm was a part of five virtual shows her freshman year, when she first discovered LT theatre. She looks forward to continuing her involvement and doing more onstage productions.

“I really enjoyed my freshman year because of LT theatre—it would’ve been a hard year without it,” said Halm. “It’s such a great community and really kept me going.”

On Nov. 11 and 12, the performance will begin at 7 p.m., and on Nov. 13 there will be two shows: one at 3pm and the other at 7pm. Tickets are $10, and for students and senior citizens tickets are $5. Admission is free with a student ID. All performances are held in the South Campus Performing Arts Center (PAC).