Seniors propose idea for Film Club

Pilot club for the 2021-2022 school year

Cooper Anderson, Reporter

Aubrey Decker ‘22, Adrian Gonzalez ‘22, and Xavier McDonald ‘22 are among the first to create a club dedicated to film-lovers just like themselves, but as a result of the pandemic, it took a while to get approval from the school.

“After doing a lot of research into what LT has to offer to the film community, I saw there was little to nothing,” Gonzalez said. “It was troubling to me, so I decided to put my thoughts into action.”

The idea of a film club at LT is not brand-new, and it is a project that has been in the works for the past two years. LT ended up not approving the club last year, since it would require people to gather, making them hesitant to give out a stipend for the club to start up, Gonzalez said. Thomas, advisor of WLTL Radio Production Club, will also be the advisor of this club.

The club is starting as a pilot club, meaning the club’s status will not be official until the fall of next year. Meetings will be held on Thursdays at 3:15 pm in North Campus room 9. Their first meeting was held on Sept. 2.

This year, members of the club will be able to immerse themselves into the world of filmmaking by analyzing scenes and concepts from some of the world’s most famous movies, and creating their own movies. A “film festival” is being planned for students to be able to practice applying the new concepts and techniques they have learned, Gonzalez said.

“The goal was to create a club where not only you can talk about something you enjoy, but it’s a way that you can get off your feet and be creative with similar-minded people,” Decker said.

With COVID-19 restrictions, forming this club was not a simple task. Despite this challenge, their perseverance to have their voices heard by the administration ultimately led them to accomplish their goal. 

“Build your community and build your confidence,” Gonzalez said. “The club is not just for you, it’s for the people you want to provide this community for.”