LT announces pause to in-person activities on Nov. 20

Claire Williams, Managing Editor

On Friday, Nov. 20, LT suspended all in-person activities, including winter sports. The decision was made using guidance from the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and the governor’s office, Director of Student Activities Peter Geddeis said in an email to staff on Nov. 19.

“I was really disappointed to hear that winter sports were cancelled because a lot of athletes have been working very hard for their season and have been really hopeful this whole 2020,” basketball player Maureen Patrick ‘22 said. “But I think overall it was the right call for the safety of everyone.”

The pause to in-person activities aligned with Illinois’ regression to Tier 3 of COVID-19 restrictions, which began at 12:01 a.m. on Friday. The move to Tier 3 is due to the rise in state COVID-19 cases and has a plethora of effects, including a pause to all indoor group sporting and recreational activities.

“The Illinois High School Association recognizes that today’s [Nov. 17] announcement by Governor Pritzker will temporarily pause the IHSA’s winter sports season,” IHSA Executive Director Craig Anderson said in an announcement on Tuesday.

Geddeis encourages club sponsors and coaches to continue to communicate with students electronically by conducting Zoom calls and sharing workouts to athletes, he said. However, club sponsors and coaches must make it clear to students that they should not meet at the school.

The pause to in-person activities will continue until at least Jan. 4, though it may be extended beyond that date depending on COVID-19 cases. LT will continually monitor the situation and send updates during the week of Nov. 30, Geddeis said. Programs will reopen once approved by IHSA, IDPH and the governor’s office.

“As we sort through the ever-changing landscape, we continue to believe that our students need and will benefit from our extracurricular programs,” Geddeis said. “As always, we want our students, families and sponsors to be safe and healthy. That is our top priority.”