NHS has virtual induction ceremony

Ella Mahaney, Reporter

In light of COVID-19, the National Honor Society (NHS) induction ceremony was held virtually via a video that could be found on its LT club page. On Sept. 23, NHS welcomed over 320 inductees this year, co-sponsor Danny Berg said.

The main focus of NHS is to recognize and further its four pillars: scholarship, service, leadership and character, Berg said.  

“We look for students who show strong leadership qualities, maintain high academic achievement, display high moral character and are willing to participate in service opportunities to improve their school and community,” Berg said. 

Applicants can apply second semester junior year or first semester senior year and are notified of their acceptance in late March, the NHS club’s page said. Then there is typically an induction ceremony before summer break, NHS exec-board member Collette Doyle ‘21 said. 

Due to COVID-19, last year’s ceremony was moved to this fall, Doyle said. In addition, the ceremony was recorded and uploaded to YouTube for friends and family to view instead of the usual in-person experience. The night started off with a message from Berg welcoming participants and transitioned into the pledge of allegiance led by exec-board member Margaret Meehan ‘21. Four exec-board members Sam Linares ‘21, Robert Sullivan ‘21, Keeley Mahoney ‘21 and Doyle then covered the topics of the four pillars.

“There’s a lot to be done,” exec-board member Camille Buttin ‘21 said. “But now, more than ever, we need to continue with our efforts to benefit our community and school.” 

Berg then listed all NHS inductees’ names, and they were officially inducted into NHS ending the night with a final congratulations. From start to finish, the ceremony lasted about 25 minutes.

“I’m very proud of the work that we’ve put into this induction ceremony to make it as meaningful as we can for all of the inductees,” Doyle said. “We want them to still feel some semblance of honor for all of their achievements.”

Inductees receive a certificate for their induction into the club along with a pin and T-shirt after induction, the club’s LT page said. NHS also offers over 20 community service opportunities on their club’s page and typically has a planned service day every year for members of the club. 

“My involvement in NHS will take me even further, hopefully into my college career as I utilize what I have learned from NHS,” Doyle said. “I think (NHS) helps  me stay committed and engaged in my community. NHS pushes me to continue to try and succeed, for the rest of my high school career,and allows students to be recognized and honored for all of their academic achievements, community achievements and volunteering.”