LT student section named finalist in IHSA competition

LT Weirdos get hyped up at the LT Blackout Game Feb. 22. (Breen/LION)

Mia Bonfiglio, Reporter

The IHSA Student Section Showdown selected LT’s student section as a finalist in the competition of the best student sections. LTTV produced a video for the contest and eight students will be sent to the competition to represent LT.

“The talent and school spirit that is shown through these videos amazes me,” IHSA assistant executive director Beth Sauser said. “It is neat to see how much students really care about their schools.”

The winner will be announced on March 16 at the IHSA boys basketball state finals at the Peoria Civic Center, Sauser said. Each school who was named a finalist submitted a video and was judged by the Student Advisory Committee to determine which student section is the most spirited and has the best sportsmanship.

“It’s so amazing being a finalist,” leader of the Lions Den Kelly Carlson said. “I think it’s so cool that the spirit of LT is getting some recognition because our fan section is so fun and full of energy.”

The video has to include the student section in action and their impact on sportsmanship and school spirit. The student sections must also follow the Do What’s Right! campaign including using positive interactions, positively representing their school, being modest, and respecting officials. Videos are judged on originality and spirit as well.

“I feel like we earned this,” Weirdos leader Charlie Pigatto said. “I don’t think other student sections have the committment that we have.”

LT, Fremd, Carl Sandburg, and John Hersey are the four finalists in the showdown. Before the winners are announced, a highlight video will be shown of each video and then the winning school will be awarded with a banner.

“We deserve to win simply because we have the biggest impact on games,” Weirdos leader Charlie Brizz said. “It’s not secret why when teams lose they chirp us on Instagram. It’s because we effected their game play and they can’t get over how effective of a student section we are.”

LT’s student section continues to thrive at all games, Pigatto said. At the last basketball game of the season at Bartlett, at least 40 students showed up.

“We bring good vibes and an excepting culture,” Brizz said. “No matter who you are, if you want to be a weirdo all you have to do is get weird.”